WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] kmaps extension does not work  (Read 6897 times)

Offline paskali

[SOLVED] kmaps extension does not work
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
hi, i am trying to load some alternative maps for my keyboard, i have a standard us and i want to use acentos.
I have tried with: 'loadkmaps < /usr/share/kmaps/qwerty/us-acentos' as well as to put bootcode: 'kmap=us-acentos', but i am not able to use dead keys. As well as i have tried other maps but they do not work, my keyboard is always recognized as US standard.
I have used in the pasts some other Tiny Core releases on the same notebook but i do not remember this issue.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:12:10 PM by zemir »

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: kmaps extension does not work
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
the correct boot code would be
Code: [Select]
kmap=qwerty/us-acentos

the correct command would be:

# loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/us-acentos.kmap
with a restart of Xvesa e.g. followed by it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:15:56 AM by gutmensch »
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline paskali

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
i confirm, it does not work; may be i do not know or i do not remember how to write accent letters.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
I confirm, it is working ;) don't forget to run loadkmap as root or with sudo and then the accents, the tilde, etc. are enabled as deadkeys, which mean you first type ~ (stays in buffer, no output), then n and it will result in ñ.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline paskali

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Now it works but i have load microcore 4.2 no 4.4, i will try again with 4.4 but i am almost sure there is a bug on it.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
FWIW I tested on 4.4, so I'm almost sure you made a mistake and it's not a bug.

Offline paskali

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Sure, it works, there is no problem, it seems. Also on 4.4 works fine.

Offline socokev

kmaps extension does not work for uk keyboard
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
maybe somebody could shed some light on this.

I've just upgraded to the latest version of TC.
In the old one I was using kmaps worked properly - I was able to install to my netbook and use the kmap=qwerty/uk in the automated part of the install asking for bootcodes.

It does not work on TC now.  I've tried it during install and I've tried it from command line as quoted above.

What I have noticed is that, when x is shut down, the command line interface does, indeed, act as a UK keyboard, as I want it to.
When x is re-started it reverts back to US. so th eprobelms appears to be within x....

I'm just learning about the innards of linux so what does this mean?

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
Re: [SOLVED] kmaps extension does not work
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
Hmm, and you are sure you are not running Xorg? The kmap setting is only valid for Xvesa, for Xorg you would have to set something like
$ setxkbmap -layout gb

Offline socokev

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
gutmensch

thanks for the reply.
Yes, that's exactly what <i'm doing - using xorg.
I couldn't seem to get 915resolution to work with my netbook so used xorg with intel drivers (for acer aspire).
I'm only used to 'fire and forget' distros so forgive my lack of knowledge.

now I've tried adding the line you gave above to the opt/bootlocal.sh but that hasn't worked.
Is there any chance you could explain, or tell me where to look to learn what to do?

cheers

Kev

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
It needs to run after Xorg has started. Another way would be to add the keyboard config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline socokev

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
Thank you both.

I'm learning..slowly!
I now at least know that if command line works and x doesn't then go to xorg for answers.
I've run the line on command and it works fine so I'll try to add it to the conf files as suggested.

Much appreciate all the help.
Forums on other distros tend to be full of people that dont like explaining stuff to newbies so I'm becomng a fan of TC.

cheers all

Kev

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:29 AM »
Just to elaborate the issue a bit... the kmaps change the system console language, which is used by Xvesa as well, that's why this setting is usually run on system startup (bootlocal.sh). Xorg uses XKB for the keyboard layout independently from the console and there are plenty of possibilities to make your keyboard persistent:

1. As curaga mentioned generate a xorg.conf and put it to /etc/X11/, put this file to the backup list /opt/.filetool.lst. A good start for an xorg.conf is retrieved by running "sudo Xorg -configure" from console.
2. You can also add the setxkbmap line as a last line of your /home/tc/.xsession file.
3. You can create a file lets say /home/tc/.X.d/gb-layout with in it "setxkbmap -layout gb", which will be executed by .xsession at startup ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:27:59 AM by gutmensch »

Offline socokev

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
this is all great stuff - I didn;t realise there were so many options to perform a task - I'd say it takes a little longer to learn!

Thanks again for all the help - I've bought a book (O'reilly pocket guide')  so hopefully I can start learnign rather than just copy/pasting commands