WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tc 2.x: dosbox and qemu there are no arrow keys (it's probably not sdl)  (Read 7208 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
in dosbox and qemu in tc 2.x i can't use the arrow keys. if it was just dosbox, or just qemu, i would suspect them.

edit: i thought it was either sdl (which both dosbox and qemu use) or tc itself... but i can use the arrow keys in ff and leafpad (edit: and since there are two different solutions outside sdl, it's probably not sdl.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:17:08 PM by tobiaus »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: sdl in tc 2.x? dosbox and qemu there are no arrow keys
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Both dosbox and qemu have their own set of keymaps, I don't really know why. For me it works to add "-k fi" to the qemu command line, or to edit the dosbox rc file with the "fi" keymap.

edit: here's the relevant section from my .dosboxrc:
[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.
# umb -- Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout -- Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=fi
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:49:33 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »
Both dosbox and qemu have their own set of keymaps, I don't really know why.

what bothers me is i don't have any keymaps installed (kmaps.tce?) and i never needed them in 1.x. this is one of those things that is suddenly different in 2.x. i'm just using a typical 100-something us keyboard and neither dosbox or qemu did this in tc before.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
That's rather weird, as I've always had to use those settings to get proper keyboard support, both in TC 2, 1, and other distros.

Qemu's and Dosbox's keymaps are included with them, it wouldn't make sense to separate those since they are only usable by that one app.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »
I've always had to use those settings to get proper keyboard support, both in TC 2, 1, and other distros.

but i haven't because i have a us keyboard and it's better than your finnish one (absolutely facetious, although i've really never needed to configure either qemu/dosbox for us keyboard, in ubuntu or windows or tc 1.x.)

Qemu's and Dosbox's keymaps are included with them, it wouldn't make sense to separate those

no it wouldn't! but if i suddenly have to put a special code in when i start qemu and dosbox fine, so long as one of us lists that code here. and sincerest thanks to your (inferior ;)) finnish keyboard for all the things it's compiled, including qemu.

edit: yes i think adding -k en-us to the other needed options when running qemu solves this issue. i'm going to wait to try doing this with dosbox because i don't want to create a config for it right now, because i don't know a command line option, and because i still think it's odd and new to 2.x. (but thanks again.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:06:51 PM by tobiaus »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
SDL has not changed in TC2 so far, so I'm not really sure what could cause this for a US keyboard. Xvesa's the same too.

When run from a terminal, does either app show any related info? Does explicitly specifying the us keymap help?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
SDL has not changed in TC2 so far, so I'm not really sure what could cause this for a US keyboard. Xvesa's the same too.

that much doesn't surprise me. i really think this is a tcb issue, but it's not relevant enough for robert to consider (speaking practically, not speaking for him) if it only affects dosbox and qemu and both are easily resolved without changes to tcb. i'm using the same keyboard / everything i normally run tc 1.x on to try 2.x.

When run from a terminal, does either app show any related info? Does explicitly specifying the us keymap help?

the term doesn't say anything special either way, for dosbox or qemu, but -k en-us seems to solve the issue for qemu. i'd ask if the next version of dosbox could have a config file included, because it's a little easier to edit one than create one (it could even have en-us unless you changed it...) but i'll certainly create one if that's what i have to do for normal use of dosbox now.

even if i change nothing/no config/no settings, i seem to be able to turn the num lock off and use the keypad's arrow keys, i only have to use the -k option if i want the usual (picture) arrow keys that are arranged in an upside down 't' shape. same for dosbox (but this is new.) perhaps the easiest thing to do is update the .info files where relevant, no extensions need to be altered. i like an .info file that gives as much information as useful to new users, so long as it's not cluttered.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:24:41 PM by tobiaus »