WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Persistance issues with norestore  (Read 3767 times)

Offline mb

Persistance issues with norestore
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
I have microcore installed on a HDD with the boot options 'opt=sda1 home=sda1 norestore', as suggested for HDD install in the wiki.
I understand this disables the backup function. /opt is persistant, but, for example, i am trying to keep a modified /etc/modprobe.conf, and this is not persistant. Do i need to make an extension, or is there a better way? Should the whole thing be consistant, with these boot options??

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Persistance issues with norestore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
Hi mb
Go to the section labeled Save Application Settings in that wiki, I suggest option 3.

Offline mb

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
For the benefit of anyone reading this i think you are talking about within the 'Options when Installed on a Hard Drive' section.

Option 3 requires to not use the norestore option. Why is it recommended to use this option on a HDD install?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
Hi mb
I don't know why norestore was recommended. I was referring to this link:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_hd
3. Another option is to use backup. If you want to use backup, don't include the “norestore” boot option. Then edit /opt/.filetool.lst. If you are using persistent home and opt, delete all references to the home and opt directories. In the version I am using, that is everything. Add a list of files and directories you want backed up to /opt/.filetool.lst.

Offline mb

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
now i don't have the norestore option it seems that my /opt directory is no longer persistant...

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
If /opt is indeed on sda1, then there is no way for it not to be persistent.
You have one of the following.
1. You don't have opt=sda1
2. You need a waitusb=5 and didn't include it.
3. You are restoring old files in /opt from an old mydata file because you did not edit .filetool.lst and run a backup before rebooting.
4. You are actually doing something else and did not tell us.

Offline mb

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
OK i think i figured it out.. i was trying to edit /opt/.filetool.lst, and of course.. opt/.filetool.lst was referencing itself, so overwriting itself with an earlier copy. IE #3 :) thanks

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
You are welcome.

Offline paskali

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
I have microcore installed on a HDD with the boot options 'opt=sda1 home=sda1 norestore', as suggested for HDD install in the wiki.
I understand this disables the backup function. /opt is persistant, but, for example, i am trying to keep a modified /etc/modprobe.conf, and this is not persistant. Do i need to make an extension, or is there a better way? Should the whole thing be consistant, with these boot options??

If you use 'opt=sda1 home=sda1 norestore', you have to make a copy of your '/etc/modprobe.conf' on '/opt/' then edit '/opt/bootlocal.sh' by adding the following command:
'sudo cp /opt/modprobe.conf /etc/'

'norestore' is suggest as well as this way to make backup because, i think, it is more faster way of the booting process.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Or you could copy  /etc/modprobe.conf  to  /opt/etc/modprobe.conf  and add
Code: [Select]
rm /etc/modprobe.conf
ln -s opt/etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf
to /opt/bootlocal.sh
In any case, if you are going to save/restore files using /opt (or /home) it might not be a bad idea to
replicate the paths the files belong in.