WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: LOW RAM  (Read 4677 times)

Offline earlytv

LOW RAM
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
I thought all had at least 128meg ram but one system only has 64meg ram.
I have tried to install just a browser nothing else.
Firefox
Opera
Seamonkey
Your Firefox
All dont install or dont run once installed?
I tried a smaller browser but
1) I dont know how to use them?
2) What is on the screen not too good?
3) Dont know how to download small sound script needed to play radio stations with XMMS?
Any ideas?

It would be nice if all linux add ons worked with all linux? I can hope?
Puppy had a Firepup, a older, smaller firefox , much taken out but much fixed or added.
It reported to the world it was a newer version, has updated security, has cut back smaller flash player that put a F where the flash items are and let you click what you wanted to open.
This speeds things up because flash is there but dont open anything up unless you want it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:53:30 PM by earlytv »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: LOW RAM
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
Any ideas?

it seems unlikely that a proper install of opera would not run in 64m. i could try it in qemu but i think some people already manage it in 64. you'll want to try installing only opera again. i suspect you could also use ff, try using tcz instead of tce, and make certain you're using appbrowser.

never happen. oh it happens sometimes, i even unzip the ff tce from tinycore and use that in xubuntu for my browser. this is not usually a good idea, but it comes down to a few issues like dynamic and static linking. flash 10 is a good example. it's a binary, no source (you can't recompile it but there are patches, sometimes they don't help) and it's linked dynamically (it depends on) glib 2.4. tc has 2.3, so that will (we've tried the patches) not be compatible.

other apps (with source) still require things that will never run in the current version of tc. tc could try to have the latest everything, which would likely give it some good unneeded bloat. but then you'd have the same problem, with older dynamic apps instead of new. try compiling things for dsl and its 2.4 kernel, you'll see what i mean. what you can hope for is that someday virtualization will let you translate old or incompatible linux calls to new or compatible, or something like that. they could call it "lionel" (lionel isn't old nor emulated linux.)

Offline alu

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:17:27 AM »
I tried a smaller browser but
1) I dont know how to use them?
2) What is on the screen not too good?

have you tried chimera or links2? they are fast browser which don't use much ram, and even if they do not display flash content, you can already do a lot of things with them; moreover, they are point-and-click browser

3) Dont know how to download small sound script needed to play radio stations with XMMS?
Any ideas?

mplayer (no-deps extension) is your friend; it can play radio stations nicely without additional scripts

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
With only 64mb of ram all extensions should be tcz and downloaded to persistent media, so that as much ram as possible is free for the apps.

Any full-featured graphical browser is going to fail at 64m if you open more than a few tabs/windows or go to just one flash-image-ad-heavy website. It's just a sad truth that most web pages nowadays require a lot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
It's just a sad truth that most web pages nowadays require a lot.

yeah, as long as the w3c are inventing standards that are so outrageous and complicated no browser will ever fully implement them, they could invent a "lite" standard that saves us from feature creep. if a website operated fully without flash (youtube would have to allow downloads then, like blip does) people could put those silly labels at the bottom that said: "100% w3c lite compliant!" the lite standard could be a subset of the current w3c standards, one that might ever become fully supported. or maybe we need a second, lighter-weight consortium, focused on simpler, reachable goals.

Offline earlytv

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
Puppy had a Firepup, a older, smaller firefox , much taken out but much fixed or added.
It reported to the world it was a newer version, has updated security, has cut back smaller flash player that put a F where the flash items are and let you click what you wanted to open.
This speeds things up because flash is there but dont open anything up unless you want it.

This item is around as code, and has been put on slack linux?
Its such a great feature that the flash items dont open unless YOU want them to, leaving a F where they would be!

"have you tried chimera or links2? they are fast browser which don't use much ram, and even if they do not display flash content, you can already do a lot of things with them; moreover, they are point-and-click browser"

I installed links but even it came to a stop when it ran into a page with many large jpegs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:37:06 PM by earlytv »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
they're probably just talking about this, which does exactly what you mentioned: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:03 AM »
Flashblock is available for Opera too:
http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/flashblock-for-opera-9
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.