WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Changing system fonts  (Read 2441 times)

Offline meo

Changing system fonts
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Hi!

I've searched for info about this in the wiki and in the forum but I can't find any information. My problem is that swedish two byte characters will not show up correctly in for example emelfm when I look for files that I want to copy from either a windows partition or a linux equivalent. I've tried to change the fonts in emelfm editing the settings file in /home/tc/.emelfm but with no success. So therefore this post. If anyone has any hints of solving the problem it will be greatly appreciated.

Have fun using TC,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: Changing system fonts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
if I remember correctly emelfm use gtk library, this is my /home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0:
Code: [Select]
gtk-font-name="Monospace 14"

Install dejavu sans font from repository and set this file accordingly

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Hi vinnie!

Thanks for your input. The problem is that I use the emelfm based on gtk1 and therefore I don't have any .gtkrc-2.0 folder in my home directory. Thanks anyway!

Have fun with TC the way you want it,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
For gtk1 i dont know fine, but i I seem to remember is ~/.gtkrc , if not exist, create it.
However if your problem is the "special characters" you should look on the wiki how to set the keymap for your language and localize tinycore

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
Hi vinnie!

TC is localized since long ago so there is no problem with the output from the keyboard. The problem is that the two byte characters like å, ä and ö are replaced with other characters or signs when I look at files in both Win XP and Linux Mint that I also use on this computer. Right now I'm running TC from an SD memory card but sometimes also from USB pen drives since I experiment and test different ways to run TC and also different versions. I have an old Sandisk Titanium (2 GB) on my keyring that runs TC which I can use on virtually any PC if I need. So I think that the problem I have is a system wide issue (fonts used in the core) and that is what I would like to know how to change. Back in the DSL times I did a lot of remastering but this particular problem in TC I don't know how to solve yet. Thanks anyway!

Have fun with this amazing distro,
meo
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:37:06 PM by meo »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:06:26 AM »
gtk1 does not support proper localization, IIRC.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:51:51 AM »
Hi curaga!

Thanks for the info! I got used to managing files with Emelfm during my DSL period, but it looks like I'm stuck in a "catch 22" situation in this matter. Thanks for letting me know!  :(

Have fun improving TC,
meo

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »
Why not move to the gtk2 emelfm?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »
Hi again curaga!

I have tried Emelfm2 also but the problem remains. Is there someway I can fix that in Emelfm2? Thanks for your response!

Have fun improving TC,
meo

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:22:41 AM by meo »

Offline meo

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
Hi again!

Followed the suggestion of vinnie and now the problem is solved in Emelfm2. Thanks to both of you!  :)

Have fun moving TC further,
meo