WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: network-manager-gnome sharing connection fails  (Read 4119 times)

Offline koter84

• Koot
network-manager-gnome sharing connection fails
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:58:01 AM »
Hi All,

i just recently discovered tinycore linux, though i've been looking at small distributions for some time now..
my primary internet connection uses a Huawei HSPA USB-dongle to make a 3G connection.. i currently have a stripped down debian on a VIA fanless system, but it only has USB 1. my internet should be faster than the theoretical maximum of 12Mb/s that USB 1 provides, so i was looking for an upgrade. I found a cheap Neoware CA15 which has USB 2 but just 32MB of flash drive, but also a HP T5700 which has a 256MB flash drive (but also just USB 1). So for testing i'm using the HP since it is faster than the Neoware, but when i get everything working i'll put the 256MB flash drive in the Neoware for full USB-power (and hopefully the full 13 Mb/s downloads i should get..)
i started booting tinycore off a usb-memory-stick and after a little fiddling around with the persistency options i quickly had a system to my liking. :D there are a lot of packages available :) then i used gparted to make a small boot partition and a larger one for opt home and tce, i downloaded tc-install and installed tinycore to the small boot partition, which failed. all the extensions i downloaded for testing were being installed too.. i didn't suspect that, and later i saw in the appbrowser this feature was added in v0.2 (maybe add a checkbox in the first installation screen for this?) so i rebooted with bootoption base, loaded tc-install and installed a clean version :D

i then installed LXDE, network-manager-gnome, usb-modeswitch(-data), openssh and nano, created a simple extension for the ssh-host-keys and sshd-config. when i insert the Huawei-usb the modeswitcher works out of the box, and nm-applet automatically connects (after config ofcourse) :D yeah!
now i want to share the connection to the rest of the network, so i made a connection through the nm-connection-editor with the IPv4 option "Shared to other computers" which should create a network, and handle the forwarding stuff. But when i select it it wont connect, and the only errors i get are:

Code: [Select]
** (nm-applet:3289): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Default' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/11: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:3289): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'ServiceName' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/11: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:3289): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'Connection' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/11: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
** (nm-applet:3289): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'ServiceName' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/11: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

now i could setup a dhcp-server and ipv4-forwarding etc. but i would like to be able to change the eth0 config from within LXDE..

i tried to boot with nodhcp option, since it should be handled by network-manager, and maybe that's the problem.. but it didn't help. it seems to me i'm missing some configuration-options or something like that, but i'm hoping someone around here knows the answer... ar at least some things i can still try..

so far i am really happy with tinycore, you gained a user :D

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: network-manager-gnome sharing connection fails
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:17:50 AM »
It looks like you're either missing some dbus configuration files or the dbus daemon is not running?

Offline koter84

• Koot
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
dbus is running, i start it from bootlocal.sh like i do with ssh and network-manager
and gnome-keyring is also installed

and network manager and nm-applet work fine, i can change to a dhcp-client connection without problems. i haven't tested if static adresses go OK, but i assume they do.. it seems there's just something missing for the sharing-part of network manager (or dbus)
where could relevent dbus-configuration files be, because i could diff with the working debian box..
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:38:18 AM by koter84 »

Offline koter84

• Koot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »
i was looking at my debian box, and found out that dnsmasq is used at least..

from `ps aux` (10.42.43.x is the default network which is hardcoded in network-manager)
Code: [Select]
/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --conf-file --no-hosts --keep-in-foreground --bind-interfaces --except-interface=lo --clear-on-reload --strict-order --listen-address=10.42.43.1 --dhcp-range=10.42.43.10,10.42.43.100,60m --dhcp-option=option:router,10.42.43.1 --dhcp-lease-max=50 --pid-file=/var/run/nm-dnsmasq-eth0.pid
so i installed dnsmasq, but it doesn't seem to help

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:08:36 AM »
IMHO network-manager and parts of gnome aren't exactly suited to such a small box. You could set up such sharing of the 3g with just pppd and iptables, a dhcp server on top is optional.

Of course that would mean command line and not a nice gui.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline koter84

• Koot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
the box being small is just relative...
the dhcp is optional, but since i don't like to manually assign ip's to the laptops, printer, nas etc. i prefer to use a dhcp-server. I have a spare wifi-router on which i tested a change in the dhcp-settings, it now sends along a router-address so the clients know where the internet connection is... so tinycore doesn't need to do the dhcp-server anymore. so it seems like setting up ip-forwarding should now be enough to get a working setup.

installing lxde with some parts of gnome makes it simple for my girlfriend to reset the 3G-connection when it stops. Unfortunately the connection gets dropped quite often, usually at least once a day. so this is just an easy way for her
to restore the connection, and she also already knows how to use nm-applet....
though i guess that if i make pppd auto-connect when the 3g-stick is inserted i don't need lxde etc. anymore, maybe just a small info-thingie showing the connection status..

could udev start the pppd-connection after the modem gets switched ??