WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Inquiry about a new kernel for new hardware  (Read 1604 times)

Offline genec

Inquiry about a new kernel for new hardware
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Recently, I received a shipment of a new model laptop at work.  One of the first things I attempted was do boot MC off my USB drive (effectively TC and a bunch of preferred extensions).  One of the first things I noticed was that the NIC (a LoM) was not recognized.  After proceeding with a 'make oldconfig' in 2.6.39.1 then some work with the modules (including the wiki article on kernels, the sorter script and a few other tidbits), I was able to build a kernel that was suitable for use with MC.

Reading the post on hosted kernels ( http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8923.0 ), I'm interested in verifying that I've set things up suitably and at least advertising it here.  What is the best way to proceed further?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Inquiry about a new kernel for new hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:08 AM »
If you get a working "base norestore" boot on a few different hw, and the extension structure matches, it should be ok.

When your tests pass, PM me a link to the kernel and modules cpio, and send the module extensions the usual way. Assuming my tests are ok as well, it'll get posted to the contrib dir.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline genec

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I'm reading details on the ramzswap to zram change (one of the last details I've been needing to nail down).  linux/drivers/staging/zram/zram.txt details it.  Unless you've already worked out the details with regards to the TC startup scripts, I'd be looking at probably selecting ramzswap versus zram based on modprobe results (preferring zram as it's more up to date and as staging in mainline).

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
Hm, that. If ramzswap from our tarball still compiles against that version, I'd go with it; if not, no need to hack zram in. Just mention to use "nozswap" in the wiki docs.

We'll convert to zram for 4.0 anyway.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline genec

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
bd_claim/bd_release were removed 2.6.38-rc1 around commit e525fd89d380 breaking compcache-0.6.2 so "nozswap" sounds like the better idea for now (and including zram.ko in base modules, of course).