WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Newbie Introduction  (Read 2990 times)

Offline alekie

Newbie Introduction
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have just downloaded and Installed TCL and love it. I am currently running it in VirtualBOX and am testing it out. My plans are to install this on an older laptop I have at home (a Gateway SOLO 2150: Pentium III - 500Mhz with an 80GB HDD with 96MB of RAM) as a home music center. I have a lot of music that can either be put onto the Laptop or streamed from my NAS so I'm just looking for something I can point the laptop too and have it stream a playlist.

A few questions though. I've seen on other distros a method where you can have on the desktop the cpu utilization as well as memory and network speed. is there an addon for that and what would it be called. I am already beginning to test the mp3 player selection to see which utilizes the least amount of memory.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Newbie Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »

A few questions though. I've seen on other distros a method where you can have on the desktop the cpu utilization as well as memory and network speed. is there an addon for that and what would it be called. I am already beginning to test the mp3 player selection to see which utilizes the least amount of memory.

CPU utilization can be measured with top which is part of base (see system tools) or download htop.tcz from the repo. For network traffic see iptraf.tcz in the repo.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
Have you looked at conky?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
I am already beginning to test the mp3 player selection to see which utilizes the least amount of memory.

Thanks,

Alex

From those i tested mp3blaster, followed by Mplayer-nodeps
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline alekie

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Have you looked at conky?

That's what I was looking for could not remember the name to save my life. Thanks!