Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Where is my IWCONFIG ??

(1/2) > >>

mOrloff:
I've got a nice little IBM ThinkCentre desktop that has been wonderfully fun and easy to set up, even for someone as green and clueless as myself :)

The next task on the menu is wireless, so I plugged in my PCI wireless card, booted up, and it is being read just fine. It shows up in ifconfig, and everything looks great!

Now I just need to provide the credentials for the network, and I understand that iwconfig is the default/best tool for the job.
The only problem is that my machine is telling me that iwconfig is not found.

I downloaded and loaded 'wireless-tools', but after that ... I'm at a loss.

Help ??

Rich:
Hi mOrloff
According to AppBrowser it puts it in  usr/local/sbin/iwconfig. Since it's in an  sbin directory you
probably need to use  sudo iwconfig
Linux has a habit of lying to you about the existence of files if it thinks you are not entitled to access
them.

tinypoodle:
iwconfig should still show output though even if running as normal user; if not found it means the extension is not correctly loaded.

Rich:
@tinypoodle: Your right, I was thinking of my Debian machine, It tells me file not found for certain
commands unless I log in as su.

@mOrloff: How did you download it. Does the machine also have a wired connection? Did you use
AppBrowser and leave the setting Onboot? You need to provide some details.
Open a terminal and type in  ls /tmp/tcloop  and see if it lists wireless-tools

hiro:

--- Quote from: Rich on April 22, 2011, 07:51:50 PM ---@tinypoodle: Your right, I was thinking of my Debian machine, It tells me file not found for certain
commands unless I log in as su.

--- End quote ---
That's because on debian sbins by default aren't in your $PATH variable

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version