Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

moc-svn.tcz - improper info file format

(1/2) > >>

bmarkus:
There is an improper info file for moc-svn.tcz and doesn't comply to TC standard and quality:

1) Description is extremely lon
2) Version is not indicated (no version number, SVN date, etc.)
3) Submissin date (current) improperly formatted, on the WEB results empty date field

:(

--- Quote ---Title:          moc-svn.tcz
Description:    MOC (music on console) is a console audio player for LINUX/UNIX designed to be powerful
      and easy to use. You just need to select a file from some directory using the menu similar to
      Midnight Commander, and MOC will start playing all files in this directory beginning from the
      chosen file. There is no need to create play lists like in other players. If you want to combine
      some files from one or few directories on one play list, you can do this. The play list will
      be remembered between runs or you can save it as an m3u file to load it whenever you want.

Need the console where MOC is running for more important things? Need to close the X terminal emulator?
      You don't have to stop playing - just press q and the interface will be detached leaving the
      server running. You can attach it later, or you can attach one interface in the console, and
      another in the X terminal emulator, no need to switch just to play another file.

MOC plays smoothly, regardless of system or I/O load because it uses the output buffer in a
      separate thread. It doesn't cause gaps between files, because the next file to be played is
      precached while playing the current file. Internet stream (Icecast, Shoutcast) are supported.
      Key mapping can be fully customized.

Supported file formats are: mp3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack, Speex, WAVE, AIFF, AU (and other
      less popular formats supported by libsndfile. New formats support is under development.
Version:        svn
Author:         Damian Pietras
Original-site:  http://moc.daper.net
Copying-policy: GPL v2
Size:           196K
Extension_by:   blofsy
Comments:       Supported formats in this version: .ogg .flac .vw .mpc .mp3
      Source,licence and build instructions:
      svn://daper.net/moc/trunk
Current:        Wed Jul 28 18:58:56 CEST 2010, moc-svn svn
--- End quote ---

blofsy:
1) I will take a look to the stuff you mentioned about the zero lenght file in the root.  ( if I have the time)
2) I didn't find any description regarding the proper formatting of the date or description of an extension. If something like that would be present I will of course create future extensions with that in mind.
3) There is no svn version simply because I don't have time for adding it manually and everything compiles automatically. If you don't like it this way I recommend you to request the deletion of this extension. MOC is pretty buggy and I don't use this package anymore and don't plan to maintain it either.

cheers

Jason W:
I edited the moc-svn.tcz.info to conform more to standard.  In particular:

example date format is 2010/08/23  for Aug 23 2010. 

Short description, with the comments area for longer explanation.

In general, existing info files are good to use a guide for format.

bmarkus:
Unfortunately I can't left uncommented this post because it shows few important points.

--- Quote from: blofsy on September 01, 2010, 12:17:05 PM ---
2) I didn't find any description regarding the proper formatting of the date or description of an extension. If something like that would be present I will of course create future extensions with that in mind.

--- End quote ---

Joining to a community first thing to do is to listen and learn its rules. Usually most important rules are not written, but followed by community members. It takes only
10 minutes to browse how extensions are submitted and while they represents different style easy to see what is common. Also different format can be seen at first glance browsing repository WEB.

If it is not important or not checked by the uploader it indicates a poor quality job and ignorance to community rules.

--- Quote from: blofsy on September 01, 2010, 12:17:05 PM ---3) There is no svn version simply because I don't have time for adding it manually and everything compiles automatically. If you don't like it this way I recommend you to request the deletion of this extension. MOC is pretty buggy and I don't use this package anymore and don't plan to maintain it either.

--- End quote ---

Why the Hell an extension is submitted, if

1) It is already there in the repo
2) Why original maintainer is not asked or discussed wether there is a need for an update, why current is not updated, etc.
3) Why an extension is submitted if declared by the uploader to be buggy and he itself is not using it?

And finally, why such extensions are accepted and published without a minimal control by TC team? It is the SLAXish way of publishing community made module which finally kills SLAX and to destroy result reached till now.

blofsy:

--- Quote from: Jason W on September 01, 2010, 12:38:48 PM ---I edited the moc-svn.tcz.info to conform more to standard.  In particular:

example date format is 2010/08/23  for Aug 23 2010. 

Short description, with the comments area for longer explanation.

In general, existing info files are good to use a guide for format.

--- End quote ---

Ok, I will add this description to the wiki.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version