WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] sound in firefox without pulseaudio  (Read 2140 times)

Offline GNUser

[Solved] sound in firefox without pulseaudio
« on: August 12, 2020, 05:53:43 AM »
If you like alsa, dislike pulseaudio, and need sound in firefox, then you will love apulse!
apulse is a wrapper script that provides "pulseaudio emulation for alsa" to the wrapped application only. It is very easy to use:

Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -wi apulse
$ apulse firefox

I'm a grumpy dinosaur (don't like pulseaudio or dbus), so my calls to firefox are actually like this:
Code: [Select]
$ apulse dbus-run-session firefoxWith this command, I get sound without pulseaudio and dbus goes away when firefox closes. Pretty sweet.

I hope this helps other grumpy dinosaurs.

P.S. apulse is a brand-new extension and will be in the TCL11 64bit repository soon. If you use a different version of TCL, apulse is trivial to compile (see here: https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse).

Offline GNUser

Re: [Solved] sound in firefox without pulseaudio
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
I decided to bite the bullet and submit  apulse  for several other TCL versions: TCL11-32bit, TCL10-64bit, and TCL10-32bit. Cheers!

Offline hiro

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 09:04:02 AM »
i've been using an alpine chroot lately for firefox as there they compiled against alsa.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »
@GNUser

Altho I use apulse which is why I submitted TC64 11x, I have no problem and think it might be more logical? if you become the downstream maintainer of it for any fixes/updates if you care to. Forgive me if it appears I am giving you more work   ;D

Offline udo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:30:01 AM »
brilliant - thanks a lot for the apulse extension(s)!