WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] flwm-topside 64 bit issue?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline PDP-8

[Solved] flwm-topside 64 bit issue?
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »
Noticed that even though flwm-topside is in my onboot.lst file running TinyCorePure64 11.1, it is still on the left, and not on the top of applications.

Tested: fresh-install, and an immediate download and install of flwm-topside in my 64-bit system works when I log out (exit to prompt) and log back in.

Items on top.  BUT, with persistence enabled and working, upon reboot, flwm-topside is properly inside my onboot.lst file, but doesn't seem to be working.

I deleted flwm-topside in its entirety (using apps delete and dependencies), and started again with a fresh onboot installation.  Same result - only works when dropping to prompt and exiting, but when rebooted with persistence, and visible in the onboot.lst file (as seen by cli and the apps utility itself), it still leaves everything on the left side.

Odd.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:07:41 AM by Rich »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: flwm-topside 64 bit issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »
Hi PDP-8
Do you also have  flwm.tcz  installed? Are you backing up something you shouldn't be backing up?

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »
Rich - you're going to laugh at this one.  I shot myself in the foot - again! :)

flwm wasn't loaded, but it was running:

I like running "like a cd" with the iso's on sticks with minimal setups.  I even use persistence tucking my tce directory into the root of other filesystems.  So flwm was running, but not seen in the onboot.lst !

You guessed it - even though home persistence works fine, without taking care and relying on auto-finding the tce directory, I STILL have a cde directory active!

Lots of fun with that self-brought spaghetti mess.  Even more fun trying to edit files owned by tc / staff, yet only able to do so as root!

Heh, so I'll fix all that.  Lesson learned - you can only take the cd-like iso so far and you gotta be on top of your game.  Instead of getting frustrated, I had a good laugh.

Slacker half-fix:
Just get used to it, and since the title bar on the left and scrollbar in aterm on the left is so ugly, quick fix is to put scrollbar on the right

in .Xdefaults:

Code: [Select]
aterm*scrollBar_right: true
Doesn't fix the underlying problem having a tce AND cde directory active, but looks good. :)

I'm still smiling at how dumb I was. ...

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 03:08:45 AM »
[SOLVED]

For my very lightweight cd-type of use-case, this bug got fixed and I let TC do all the work.  It also served a secondary valuable purpose!

1) Use as-is, offline, and implement the right-hand scrollbar.  Persistence on another filesystem.  Good enough when I just want to enjoy TC as-is.

2) For going online for a small handful of utilities, like terminus-fonts, htop, flwm-topside and the like, this "problem" was easily fixed and quite useful.

/** Lurker note - this is for me with very small requirements - anything much larger like trying to turn TC into a major system, will be best served by using official installer utilities, or making your own system from the distribution file themselves.
**/

3) Although I've established persistence with a tce directory on a remote filesystem, and proven that it works with a small test-file, full population of that remote tce structure does not take place until you download something.

4) Although flwm is already running, and does not appear in the onboot.lst nor in the apps / onboot maintenance window, but fortunately simply downloading it also causes the remote tce directory structure to be populated, permissions set and so forth.

5) After reboot, with the system picking up the tce directory first, picks it up from my tce directory, and not the cde

6) I used the apps utility to also move any other tcz's into the onboot.lst file with onboot maintenance in Apps - basically pointing them away from the cde directory to the new tce so they get picked up from there first.

And of course flwm-topside, when installed works fine, now that flwm is part of the onboot.lst proper.

Anyway, it works for my use-case, and if it breaks, I get to keep both pieces!

So Rich - thanks for pointing me to FLWM.  We can call this SOLVED!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:11:19 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: [Solved] flwm-topside 64 bit issue?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 07:24:33 AM »
Hi PDP-8
... And of course flwm-topside, when installed works fine, now that flwm is part of the onboot.lst proper. ...
Only one of those should be in your  onboot.lst  file.

... flwm wasn't loaded, but it was running:

I like running "like a cd" with the iso's on sticks with minimal setups.  I even use persistence tucking my tce directory into the root of other filesystems.  So flwm was running, but not seen in the onboot.lst ! ...
Of course it was loaded, otherwise it couldn't be running.

... You guessed it - even though home persistence works fine, without taking care and relying on auto-finding the tce directory, I STILL have a cde directory active! ...
And that's where it came from. The  cde/optional  directory contains  flwm.tcz  and  cde/onboot.lst  lists  flwm.tcz.