Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

unmount extensions, not sce - possible?

(1/2) > >>

Zendrael:
Hello all!

Is it possible to unmount extensions (that are not sce)?

I know that sce extensions are no longer supported (I'm on Core 5.2) and don't want to use then, jusnt wanto to unmount the ones that I have on my onDemand - after used them, i want to unmount/remove from memory.

Rich:
Hi Zendrael
This has been ask before and the answer is it's not practical. Unless you are running in copy mode, it really makes no
difference since extensions reside on your drive and are loop mounted into the RAM file system.

hiro:
I haven't done it in ages cause I upgraded from my 64MB PC to a 512MB embedded platform ;)
But there are other reasons besides memory that might want you to unmount an extension. and yes, it works, but there is no official support.

Misalf:
Some extensions use start scripts that are contained in the extensions (/usr/local/tce.installed/TCZ-NAME) to create symlinks or create copies of some files. These files will be orphaned after unmounting the tcz.
For extensions that do not contain a start script, an empty file is created in  /usr/local/tce.installed .
Some unrelated scripts check for the existance of  /usr/local/tce.installed/TCZ-NAME  to check if a dependency is available (not sure if a dead symlink still returns 'true' if checked for by a script).

I guess unmounting can be safe for some, but not all extensions. Deleting the files which were created while the extension was loaded might be advisable, though. There is probably more.

--

Or, to 'get back' some memory:

--- Code: ---sudo /usr/sbin/cache-clear

--- End code ---
Not sure if it makes that much sense, though. As I get it, cached memory will be made available for other programs if needed.

Rich:
Hi Misalf
Clearing the cache is generally not useful. See:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,9769.msg53362.html#msg53362

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version