WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Fixed: copy and paste with 2 button USB mouse  (Read 4941 times)

Offline ps

Fixed: copy and paste with 2 button USB mouse
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
 Copy and paste wasn't working until I deleted the "-mouse ..." in .xsession and substituted in "-2button" in its place, for the Xvesa line so it not looks like:
Xvesa -br -2button -screen 1024x768x24 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 >/dev/null &

... I'll get around to remastering sometime to make it stick (ditto for cpufreq needed so my ~ diskless laptop will stay up > 5min!).

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Fixed: copy and paste with 2 button USB mouse
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
I have
Code: [Select]
Xvesa -br -2button -mouse /dev/psaux,3 -screen 1280x800x24 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 >/dev/null &exec..to get cut & paste working, but the screen does not come out at 1280x800  :)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:13 AM »
The mouse specification is a clause of the Xvesa server configuration and therefore to select alternate mouse types is part of the xsetup.sh script or you can boot with the xsetup boot option. There you will find mouse choices to select from, no need to manually edit the .xsession file.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ps

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »
Setup via xsetup.sh fails:
1) With USB mouse (-mouse /dev/input/mice,5), can startx but don't have copy and paste (no "-2button").
2) With psaux, "2button", "-2button" gets filled in, but startx fails silently. .xsession was:
Xvesa -br -2button -mouse /dev/psaux -screen 1024x768x24 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 >/dev/null &

.. original .xsession with no cut and paste:
Xvesa -br -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 > /dev/null &

Manual mod to either:
Xvesa -br -2button -screen 1024x768x24 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 >/dev/null &
or
Xvesa -br -2button -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I 2>&1 > /dev/null &
works.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
So I need tyo add another choice to the menu options?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ps

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
 1st I'll note a bit of strangeness: I can now only successfully "startx" (note this is after boot up from a CD with no persistent storage) if I chmod .xsession to something like 777 (ie., something the "tc" user can execute directly). Maybe that's what occurred above for the cases I said where startx failed - it seems the contents of the Xvesa line is irrelevant with respect to "startx" failure.
 One other bit of strangeness is that with my USB mouse (a Logitech 2 button trackball), it makes no difference what you put in for the "-mouse" part, or leaving it out entirely. "-2button" _is_ required for proper copy and paste, however.
 Maybe the irrelevance of the "-mouse" part is a quirk of my hardware, but I think that it would be a good idea to add in 2button options for each mouse type, where lacking, in the last menu.

[Mind you, I never saw "xsetup.sh" until I went looking for it ... . Looking at the "startx" script a bit, it seems there can be a situation where there is no .xsession file and so "xsetup.sh" is spawned, or if the user explictly requests xsetup.sh with a boot parameter]