WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Update to Java JRE  (Read 4085 times)

Offline svcguy

Update to Java JRE
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
Wondering if it is possible to update the TinyCore Java JRE package to 6u26.  I have a goal of using TinyCore as lightweight VM in a Cisco CCNA Security Virtual Lab.  Current version of JRE available to TinyCore will not start Cisco's Security Device Manager (SDM).  SDM starts under several other OS's with 6u26, hoping that TinyCore can do the same with Firefox 4 and Java 6u26.  Cisco's software can be picky on which version of Java is used.

Andy

Offline svcguy

Re: Update to Java JRE
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
First off, a big thanks to the un-named dev who updated the same day I posted!  You guys rock.

My goal however, may not be reachable...  SDM still won't start with 6u26.  Must be some other limitation.

FYI:  It took 192 Mb of ram to start TC with firefox and java under virtual box.  Same as win xp

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
Well I won't start bashing here too much... but you didn't really expect a Java Runtime with 100 MB and a browser with at least 80 MB footprint to fit into 64 MB of RAM just by using a small OS, did you? ;-)

Can't say much about your other problems, because you're quite unprecise - is it a .jar file? How do you start it? Is it a webstart file? Tomcat app? You need to provide at least "some" log messages to help you out. I doubt you'll find someone in here, who knows Cisco products by heart because FOSS and Cisco tend to be mutually exclusive. However, good luck! :)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline svcguy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
Well I won't start bashing here too much... but you didn't really expect a Java Runtime with 100 MB and a browser with at least 80 MB footprint to fit into 64 MB of RAM just by using a small OS, did you? ;-)
I was feeling lucky since I'd had successfully squeezed blood from a turnip earlier that morning :)  Was really just surprised that it took the same amount of resources as big, fat Windows.

Can't say much about your other problems, because you're quite unprecise - is it a .jar file? How do you start it? Is it a webstart file? Tomcat app? You need to provide at least "some" log messages to help you out. I doubt you'll find someone in here, who knows Cisco products by heart because FOSS and Cisco tend to be mutually exclusive. However, good luck! :)
I wasn't really looking for help here.  Hell, Cisco can't even figure out why their java apps won't start sometimes.

I was really just thanking whomever it was that took the time to update the package and putting info out there for someone who may be doing similar tasks.

Andy

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
I'll just note it's not a fair comparison if you haven't set up swap for TC. XP automatically creates a variable-sized swapfile.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.