Off-Topic > Starter Packs

Installer for computers without a CD or DVD drive.

<< < (2/4) > >>

roberts:
UNetbootin would be a windows program. So, no I don't think I should be trying to distribute a Windows program. Besides using UNetbootin is quite easy, Same of other Linux distribution. Also other Linux distrbutions would mean a boot loader is readily available to boot Tiny Core from a directory or even the iso file itself.

I also am not inclined to officially distribute programs to run in other OS as it is not my domain. Nor do I have means to test all such distributions.

We have the program and scripting section if you are so inclined.

aus9:
hi

Forgive the hijack from the OP theme of NO optical drive

1) I have successfully installed TC by downloading the bzImage and tinycore.gz using Knoppix and using
Knoppix grub-legacy files.

Initially you may get a fail as grub-legacy looks for vmlinuz in its defined pathway.

I suspect this is the also the reason why more modern (excuse the humour heh heh) grub2 fails to auto-detect TC as a bootable distro.....grub2 is searching for string vmlinuz

2) So naturally I symlink bzImage to vmlinuz and then Knoppix grub-legacy (and any other traditional live cd/dvd) works

3) I am hoping roberts might see some merit in the idea of renaming his kernel as
vmlinuz

Mods.....as this is a hijack feel free to split and move but I am posting in response to the quote from roberts

"Also other Linux distrbutions would mean a boot loader is readily available to boot Tiny Core from a directory or even the iso file itself."

If you move it pls remove my quote as it would then not appear ruder than it already may be perceived?

roberts:
Ah, true. Indeed. It is also the case that I hear alot of grumblings about the complexity of Grub2. Some distros are staying with the original, now called Grub Legacy. Too many boot managers for me!

aus9:
roberts

thanks for your gracious reply

any chance of considering the merit of the proposal to rename TC kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz?

In the fullness of time ....of course

aus9:
and a complete hijack rather than do it by pm

Mods

feel free to delete if inappropriate...or when corrected

1) I appear to have no reply function to this post
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9585.0

no worries

2) Can you  amend your first post to read  "network.gz" in lieu of "network-tools.gz"

b) according to my eyesight no network-tools.gz appears in the dowloads repository

If I am wrong.....just delete the post and I will stop drinking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version