WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Suggestion for future versions  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Guy

Suggestion for future versions
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
Here is an idea which I think would be good to implement sometime in the future - not urgent, just whenever it is practical.

At the present time, when you open the App Browser, you get a list of extensions. Some of these are apps, and others are dependencies.

I suggest, have some way to differentiate between apps and dependencies, and have only apps listed in the App Browser, not dependencies. (Still have dependencies listed in the Depends and Size tabs)

That would make it simpler to find apps.

The same thing could be used with removing apps.

You may include the option to list all extensions, for those who want that option.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:56:54 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Suggestion for future versions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
There is a plethora of extensions which could as well serve as apps and deps of other apps.

Also there are extensions which are apps but could be dependencies of 3rd party apps.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »
There is a plethora of extensions which could as well serve as apps and deps of other apps.

Also there are extensions which are apps but could be dependencies of 3rd party apps.

They could be included, but there are some extensions which are only ever dependencies. When looking for apps, it is necessary to search through these as well.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
That classification would still be an opinion, really. What if I specifically want to load libfoo to develop for it, and don't want to search for an app that needs it first?

I do think some simple filters would be ok, ie checkboxes for both libs (^lib) and modules (.*2\.6\..*). These wouldn't need any changes in the data, they'd work just on the names.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:59:15 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
or/and a exclude filter to choose arbitrary patterns could be useful to filter undesirable results
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
Most still do not use the Search or Provides area of appbrowser, which I find much quicker and much more targeted than having to click a check box  to get a less targeted list for me to scan.

But the definition of an application versus an extension is still an interesting topic. I would say an application is something that a user would launch (run). Typically this would imply an embedded menu and/or an icon for system launchers.

Because our current structure has the menu/icon embedded is the reason I have the OnBoot and OnDemand being a user initiated functions.

I am actually pondering this area for possibly a new feature.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:03:50 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.