WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Easy Way: wicd  (Read 15257 times)

lmart

Easy Way: wicd
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
Working my way down the wiki, step by step, for setting up wifi.

#1 - installed wicd package (and its dependencies) from the package repository
#2 - sudo wicd-start
#3 - iwconfig; no wireless

?what are the next steps to get wireless (ipw2200) working?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Easy Way: wicd
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »
ipw2200 requires firmware, which I have and use and have been meaning to make an extension out of it.  I will aim for that soon.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
If your WiFi device requires a firmware file there is no "shortcut" around it. But if you don't want to wait you could try to find out the exact file name (e.g. from the 'dmesg' output) and then attempt to download it from one of the files available from sf.net. You'll have to put the file into an appropriate directory (e.g. '/usr/local/lib/firmware' which needs to be created first) before installing the kernel driver extension (i.e. 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' or 'compat-wireless-KERNEL.tcz') or activation of the device.

Offline floppy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
Can I get wifi up and working manually, or do you suggest that I wait until you make an extension out of it?
perhaps, use ndiswrapper as long the firmware dont exist.
See what I had done in http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8001.msg43118#msg43118
(today, I am working with Ethernet Adapters which are using the electricity network of the house and combining it with a LAN network)
Or/Then later, for the honor of linux and when available, take the firmware way.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »
I finally got around to uploading ipw2200.tcz, so it is now in the repo.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
On the ipw2200 end, just make sure the ipw2200.tcz extension is loaded before the wireless-KERNEL.tcz.  Though I am not familiar with using passwords and only vaguely familiar with Wicd.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 04:37:41 AM »
To connect manually via cli, we need to know whether the ap you're trying to connect to uses no encryption, wep, wpa, wpa2 or whatever?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »
Best to use a root shell for network related commands   ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
Listing all wireless cards in that part would just clutter it, IMHO. Many need firmware, and many of those firmwares aren't even redistributable as extensions.

That aside, anyone can contribute to the wiki.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
lmart: Do I understand from your reply #12 correctly that you've got a script that when running it in Puppy connects to your WLAN whilst it fails with certain errors in TC? Furthermore looking at some of the errors you reported I wonder whether the script was run as 'root' in TC (as already suggested in reply #13).

Clearly as Puppy runs everything under super-user privileges this might be a reason for a different outcome. I personally wholeheartedly disagree with the approach taken by Puppy and it's one of the reasons why I'm "hanging out" over here and not over there. In my own customized WiFi startup script (to be run by user 'tc') I only need 'sudo' for a very few commands (e.g. 'ifconfig $IF up', 'sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i $IF -c $CONF', and 'sudo udhcpc -b -i $IF').

If you need more help you'll have to improve on your reporting of the steps and outcomes of each step (as it is IMHO unfortunately rather inconsistent). I believe it would help if you would describe not just some details but rather try to structure things more useful for us out here trying to help:
(1) describe the step (e.g. plugging in a USB device, or quote the exact command used).
(2) describe the outcome (e.g. quote the full command result incl. command, warning and error messages)
(3) provide (optional) additional supporting information (e.g. 'dmesg' output).

Please note that the "usual" 'dmesg | tail -N' is a bit a "hit-and-miss" affair. I'd recommend to rather create what I would call the "dmesg delta": (a) take a "snapshot" before whatever action you undertake (e.g. dmesg > before-step1), (b) execute the step, and (c) identify what has changed (e.g. via dmesg > after-step1 ; diff -U 0 before-step1 after-step1).

Running a whole script (without attaching it here) and only quoting some output makes it too much of a guessing game for us to provide specific help. I'd therefore suggest to execute each (critical) step (e.g. a 'sudo COMMAND') on it's own providing supporting information along the lines of the above for each step. Only if we are really able to fully understand of what is happening on your system will we be able to provide you with more specific suggestions.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
lmart-

I may have missed it, but what are the command sequence that works with other distros that does not work here?  Also, post the output of:
Code: [Select]
cat `cat /opt/.tce_dir`/onboot.lst

If you are issuing terminal commands, or Wicd, in other distros to get wireless working there, then it should work here if the extensions are loaded in the correct order. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 06:01:24 AM »
How about trying this:
$ tce-load -i ipw2200.tcz
$ tce-load -i wireless_tools.tcz

$ sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_tkip
$ sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_wep
$ sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_ccmp

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "substitute_your_ssid_here"
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 key restricted 12:34:56:78:90:AB:CD:EF:12:34:56:78:90)

$ sudo udhcpc -b -i wlan0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:57:06 AM by Juanito »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
Adding
ifconfig eth1 upsomewhere could not harm.   ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
?next steps?

Start from a clean boot without ipw2000 and wireless_tools installed.

What did dmesg say?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:47 AM »
I would suggest not to run the commands as a script but to enter them line by line in a terminal window to have the best chance of troubleshooting.

I use similar commands every day without "ifconfig eth1 up" and it works every time, but that's not to say it might not be needed in your case  ;)