WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: AppBrowser fails to connect in strange condiction  (Read 3665 times)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
AppBrowser fails to connect in strange condiction
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
First I thought it was a dns issue (which I suitably modified in /etc/resolv.conf) , but after I realized that I could see the list after unmounting the disk (then I can remount it, and appbrowser continues to work, but not if I close and reopen).
Then Appbrowser fetch the package list unless I start with the disk removed.
I can not unmount the disk with  appbrowser open; if I start with the drive mounted, not only did I get the list but I can not even remove the disc
Before with the router I didn't have this problem (as you know now I use a usb serial modem), and now that I know escape it, that's not stopping me, but I wanted to report, even if it could be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:29:58 AM by vinnie »

Offline vinnie

Re: AppBrowser fails to connect in strange condiction
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Argh! i found the problem (nothing to do with the type of connection), is because the sd disk is (mechanical) write protected
At this point if you can I ask you to be able to download the list in this condition, postponing the error when I try to download a package.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
because I can not explain in words, with my bad english, I made a video that shows the problem
http://youtu.be/uZDuHBEgJxE
I do not know if it depends on some temporary file that, because the mechanical protection, fails to open the list, but if so would be better for this file is always downloaded in /tmp

Offline vinnie

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
Up
Please tell me an answer, simply to avoid the bad feeling of being ignored.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
What is result of showbootcodes?
What system files are located on the write-protected disk?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
tc@box:~$ showbootcodes
initrd=/boot/microcore.gz quiet noicons noswap multivt kmap=qwerty/it lang=it_IT.UTF-8 tce=LABEL=sdcoreblack restore=LABEL=sdcoreblack/tce waitusb=5 BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/bzImage
tc@box:~$

For second question, i use flag to copy all tcz to ram, and so I think I don't have system files on sd memory.

I think AppBrowser seeking to scribe package list on sd memory, but this is write-protected, and then returns the error in the video.
Vice versa if sd memory is unmounted, appbrowser write this package on /tmp and continues to work also if i remount sd.

If this is how I think, would be good if appbrowser write temporary files always in /tmp (also to limit the number of writes on flash memory).

Thanks Roberts

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
info.lst is downloaded to user's $HOME e.g., /home/tc. Hopefully your HOME is not mounted on a read-only device. Look to see if you have a borked info.lst file there. Perhaps a root.root owned info.lst needs to be deleted.

Otherwise how would appbrowser know to use an arbitrary unspecified read-only device?
Something in your setup would have to make such indication for it to be used.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:47 AM »
My home is not mounted on /dev/sdb1, this device is "sdcoreblack" with /tce directory.
I do not know which files are written, and in this moment I can not do the test because I have the modem in a state of repair, but I'll do this test as soon as possible.
I seem to remember that the .info and .dep file is downloaded, but I don't remember where.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:20 AM »
Ok, i return on tinycore and made the test, it is very strange!
1- I don't have any info.lst in my home
2- if I connect appbrowser without making any changes (the error situation) this file is not downloaded
3- if I change .tce_dir in /tmp/tce appbrowser connects and info.list resides in my home
4- after that any other test I've done (that approwser be able to connect or not) info.list has never been downloaded more

???

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »
Still seems to  indicate a permission error or drive not ready on your setup.
Have you checked /tmp permissions? Check "base norestore" vs when you experience the failure.
What is permission on /tce directory when failure occurs.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 03:21:42 AM »
Ok, I used a vanilla tinycore 3.6 (loading all the packages needed for the connection, wvdial + usbmodeswitch).
/tmp owner and group is root:staff (in my usual distro is root:root) but permission is all checked
/mnt/sdc1/tce is tc:staff, all is checked except write on others
The problem also exists in vanilla