WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: FLWM and cursor hop  (Read 3134 times)

Offline TaoTePuh

FLWM and cursor hop
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:16:15 PM »
If I start a program (e.g. from the wbar), the cursor always jumps to the (new) program window. Is it possible to disable this behavior in FLWM?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: FLWM and cursor hop
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
Hi TaoTePuh
Thank you for bringing that up, I feel that the placement of the mouse cursor should be left up to the
user and not the window manager. More often than not I find myself having to move the cursor back
to where I need it. Moving the cursor to the title bar of a window because it received focus is just
a gimmick and serves no useful purpose.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
You can please some of the people some of the time but never all the people all the time. That is why there are a plethora of Linux window managers. Tiny Core offers plenty to choose from. Those listed in the repository are extremely easy to use, No configuration required. Explore. You might find the one that pleases you.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
Hi roberts
That's a fact, no matter what you do someone will always find something to complain about.

Offline TaoTePuh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »

May I write without falling out of favor?

Other WM have other problems ... I've already tried a lot.
In the standard TC enviroment bothers me only:

a.) The cursor jumps. I was hoping that I can turn off this behavior. After all, this is a functionality that has been programmed, although it is not absolutely necessary for the operation of the WM. It is not unusual that one can turn off those options.

b.) The wbar is not always in the foreground or can not be brought to the fore via shortcut (e.g. windows key?)

c.) The maximizing of windows works only with shortcut (CTRL + ALT + M). Every day I (double) click a few dozen times, unsuccessfully, in the title bar ...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:28 AM »
Hi TaoTePuh
If you are interested I modified flwm to make the cursor not jump around anymore. The only side
effect I see so far is that the minimize button is now on the left end of the title bar, but I can live
with that. I'd look into it further but I write in C, I don't do C++.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
I re-checked the sections I commented out and they are not the reason the minimize button moved
to the left, though that seems to be the default behavior of fltk. So far it is running perfectly.

Offline TaoTePuh

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
Hi TaoTePuh
If you are interested I modified flwm to make the cursor not jump around anymore. The only side
effect I see so far is that the minimize button is now on the left end of the title bar, but I can live
with that. I'd look into it further but I write in C, I don't do C++.

Thank you for your offer, but I have found another solution: Xfce4
It costs RAM, but the gain in comfort is ...

I re-checked the sections I commented out and they are not the reason the minimize button moved
to the left, though that seems to be the default behavior of fltk. So far it is running perfectly.

I suspect it is the default, see also

http://flwm.sourceforge.net/screenshot.png

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
Actually this is the Topside version with the title bar on the top. The close and maximize buttons are
still on the right, just the minimize button moved. I haven't tried this but as far as the wbar is concerned
the  geometry  switch can be used to limit the area of the screen an app can occupy. I don't have a
solution for double clicking the title bar.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
Actually this is the Topside version with the title bar on the top. The close and maximize buttons are
still on the right, just the minimize button moved.

Rather the opposite way round: The minimize button in topside version in TC base was moved to the right from a certain version on.    ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)