WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Different repos for different TC versions  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Ulysses_

Different repos for different TC versions
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:13 AM »
Several extensions that used to work with older versions of TC do not work currently.  Mldonkey is one but there must be more.  For anyone not deeply involved in extension development and TC this is a major drawback, because we cannot fix the extensions and we cannot know what version of TC their developer has updated them for.

Nowdays that storage space is cheap, is it perhaps better to have each different version of TC download its extensions from a different version of the repository?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:17:32 AM by Ulysses_ »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Different repos for different TC versions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:11 AM »
There should be no breakage within minor versions, major versions do have separate repos. Please report all such extensions.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »
There should be no breakage within minor versions, major versions do have separate repos. Please report all such extensions.

Alright but is mldonkey's developer around, and does he have the time to update his extension?

Maybe extensions could have an information field that says which version of TC they were tested on last?

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:07:13 AM »
some packager have created dozens of packages and it is quite normal that they can not keep up with everyone, so the best method is to report directly the malfunction.
however, I tried mldonkey hours, and it works (download as well) (i use latest version of tinycore 3.6.1)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:10:23 AM by vinnie »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »
I tried mldonkey hours, and it works (download as well) (i use latest version of tinycore 3.6.1)

You mean 3.5.1?  What do you type then, to make it work? Do you see the gui?

I get this when typing mldonkey or mlnet:

"Directory /home/tc/.mldonkey is full, MLDonkey shuts down"

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Sounds like you are running out of memory.
Make sure you configure it do download to real storage.

By the way, current release candidate is 3.6.1.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
While I'm guilty of taking the same little shortcut at times, it is technically correct to say that the current release candidate is "3.6RC1" where as 3.6.1 will be the first release (if any) between release 3.6 and release3.7.  Its quibbling, I know, and its much easier to write it the way it has been used in this thread, but it can lead to confusion.

3.5.1 is the current release.  3.6RC1 is the current release candidate.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
Thanks, mldonkey sorted. Just needed more memory, works with the current release 3.5.1.

How do you extension developers feel about noting in the description the version of TC the extension was developed for?

Offline maro

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
How do you extension developers feel about noting in the description the version of TC the extension was developed for?

I think it would be rather an exceptional case that an extension from the 3.x repository (i.e. for the TC 3.x series) is targeted specifically for a certain release (e.g. up to TC 3.3) and not for the latest (stable) one (i.e. TC 3.5.1 at the time of this writing).

The reason is that the kernel and the Core libraries (e.g. 'libc') are kept stable (apart from important bug fixes requiring an in-series update) during the life cycle of a given series. What might change between releases of the same series are aspects of the "eco-system" (e.g. support and startup scripts). Therefore I strongly believe that any issues that might arise can be addressed by the extension packagers via small tweaks (e.g. to the extension startup script).

The thing that should not be expected to work outright are using extensions from the "wrong" repository (e.g. a 3.x extension in TC 2.x). And as it requires the user to really work (deliberately) against the TC "eco-system" to create such a situation I'd see such information in the extension info files as rather unnecessary.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
Agreeing, and the "Change-log:" and "Current:" after all are present in the .info.

And comparing, there is quite a number of extensions which has the same "Current::" date in repo of 2.x and 3.x
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »
And comparing, there is quite a number of extensions which has the same "Current::" date in repo of 2.x and 3.x

All the extensions that it was thought would not be affected by the update 2.x -> 3.x were copied across to the new repo - there have not been many reports of problems..

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »
A related issue is some extensions used to be available but not any more. Eg open-vm-tools.  This extension is mentioned in the forum, but where do I download it from? And once downloaded, how do I find out what TC it goes with?  

If we look at the "Change-log:" and "Current:" fields in order to compare them with TC dates, I only see TC 3.x dates under Downloads. Where are 2.x ones?

And shouldn't all extensions it depends on be available too, at the corresponding version each?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:06:58 AM by Ulysses_ »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
Surely all such version comparisons are for a computer to make, not a human?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:46:11 AM by Ulysses_ »

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
A related issue is some extensions used to be available but not any more. Eg open-vm-tools.  This extension is mentioned in the forum, but where do I download it from?

I'm working on it today. :)

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
Cool. 

So a TC repo is always about 1% broken and that is by design?