WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Grub ignores menu.lst [resolved]  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Ingrid

Grub ignores menu.lst [resolved]
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
Something is wrong with my new Micro Core installation. I've tried to do a persistent install, but my menu.lst just gets ignored at boot.

This is what menu.lst looks like:
Code: [Select]
default 0
timeout 10
title MicroCore
kernel /boot/bzImage/ restore=sda1 tce= sda1 opt=sda1 home=sda1 local=sda1 safebackup kmap=qwerty/no-latin1 tz=GMT+1
initrd /boot/microcore.gz

I've tried several other configurations but they all get ignored. The first thing I have to do on each boot is to type sudo loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/no-latin1.kmap and that loads the Norwegian keymap just fine. It should however be unnecessary given that I've already specified it in menu.lst

I recon I've forgotten some obvious step along the way but I can't figure out which one. Any pointers? For the record, I'm running Micro Core inside VirtualBox.

-Ingrid
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:10:27 AM by Ingrid »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Grub ignores menu.lst
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »
tce= sda1

Extra empty space there.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
Also, if this is USB, you need waitusb=10.
cat /proc/cmdline will show you what grub saw.

Offline Ingrid

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to think out loud with me. :)

Extra empty space there.
Woops! Extra spaces was one of the first things I looked for as well. Thanks for picking up on it.

Also, if this is USB, you need waitusb=10.
cat /proc/cmdline will show you what grub saw.
Cool! I was completely unaware of that command.

I figured out what the problem was and now it boots just fine. Here's what happened:
I had this feeling that grub got ignored altogether during boot up and that isolinux was used instead. So on a whim I checked my VirtualBox machine setup just to double-check that the original image was indeed ejected. Turned out that VirtualBox and me had different definitions as to what "eject" really meant. So I disabled the CD/DVD rom and booted up the machine. And that was all there was to it.

-Ingrid

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
Remove: local=sda1
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Ingrid

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
Thank you, Guy. That worked a lot better. All those bootcodes and different modes get a bit confusing at times.