WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Questions for Lua users  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Laudan

Questions for Lua users
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:37 AM »
Hi

I am new to TinyCore, and I am still exploring the possibilities offered by this wonderful operating system.

Since I am planning to develop some project in the Lua programming language, I was wondering if someone here on the TC forum has some experience with Lua on TC.

I already know that Lua has been ported on TC, but I don't know much about the other Lua development tools (libraries, bindings to the API, support for FUSE filesystem, GUI support, etc.). Are these Lua 'paraphernalia' available for TC yet?
I have many other questions on my mind.
How friendly is the TC platform for Lua programming? What can be done and what cannot be done yet with Lua on TC? Is there a Lua programming community on TC?

Would some please share with us his experiences with Lua on TC?

Thank you

Laudan

Offline vitex

Re: Questions for Lua users
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
I do a lot of Lua programming, although most of it is on embedded systems instead of TC.

The TC Lua packages should provide everything that you need to build Lua-based applications.  The package lua-dev installs the files that you need to dynamically link C libraries to the Lua interpreter.  The package luarocks installs a utility program that downloads, compiles, and installs Lua extensions from the LuaRocks repository.  The package luajit installs a just-in-time compiler that generally speeds up execution of Lua programs.

You should be able to do anything with Lua on TC that you can do on any other platform, although you may have to build some C libraries yourself that are prebuilt on other platforms.