WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Removing extensions + dependencies  (Read 2113 times)

Offline huffpuff

Removing extensions + dependencies
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:32 AM »
Not for the first time I found myself flirting with an application to see if it merited a more permanent place on my system. And not for the first time I found that the bloat created by the dependencies turned out not to be worth it. And not for the first tie I wrestled with the problem of how to go back to the point before I 'installed' the extension and all its dependencies.

Now I can't see an easy and intuitive method of doing this through the Appsaudit tool.

My concern is to remove all of the dependencies that came with the extension but not any pre-existing dependencies that may be required by other packages.

Bottomline: Does the 'dep' file created by the system for an extension list ONLY the dependencies additionally required by the extension and hence downloaded at the time of installing the extension or does it list all dependencies including those that may already be satisfied by the system?

If it is the former then to return back to the point before loading the extension cleanly I could:

1. Remove the reference in the onboot.lst file to the extension.
2. Delete the extensions listed in the dep fle for the extension
3. Delete the extension itself

The aim of course is not to screw up my system by removing a mutual dependency but nonetheless free up as much space as possible on my partition where my extension folder resides.

Apologies if this is a dumb question btw....

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Removing extensions + dependencies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
Does the 'dep' file created by the system for an extension list ONLY the dependencies additionally required by the extension and hence downloaded at the time of installing the extension or does it list all dependencies including those that may already be satisfied by the system?

The dep file for an extension should list (recursively) the deps required by that extension regardless of what might already be loaded on your system

If it is the former then to return back to the point before loading the extension cleanly I could:

1. Remove the reference in the onboot.lst file to the extension.
2. Delete the extensions listed in the dep fle for the extension
3. Delete the extension itself

to return to the point before loading the extension, remove the reference to the extension in question from onboot.lst and then reboot

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
@ Juanito

Yes I am aware that I can use the onboot menu of Appsaudit to remove the extension and that this removes the extension from the onboot.lst [or do it manually] however the extension and all the dependencies remain in the optional folder. In some cases - such as Banshee - a large number of dependencies are downloaded [like mono.tcz > 50mb for inst.]. Since I have tc on a small partition it is the disk space I particularly want to recover by removing the extensions entirely from the disk.

Clearly removing extensions cleanly from the system is not an easy option in tc  and should be made clear to people installing via the onboot method.

I wonder if the creators of extensions can give an indication of the likely size and number of dependencies that a particular app might require as a matter of routine - a sort of 'health warning' you might say.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »
Hi huffpuff
If you click on the size tab in AppBrowser it lists the dependencies you need to
install and which ones are already on your system. It also sumarizes the total
download size and the amount you actually need to download.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:48 AM »
Yes I am aware that I can use the onboot menu of Appsaudit to remove the extension and that this removes the extension from the onboot.lst [or do it manually] however the extension and all the dependencies remain in the optional folder.

OK. but  you can use the apps audit "dependencies"and "mark for deletion" or after reboot you can delete the unwanted extensions manually.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34:49 AM »
huffpuff, Please peruse the provided documentation.
See: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7495.0
and specifically for removing extensions and dependencies: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/videos/opera-flash-delete.html
and
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#delete
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:44:29 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline peterf

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Not for the first time I found myself flirting with an application to see if it merited a more permanent place on my system. And not for the first time I found that the bloat created by the dependencies turned out not to be worth it. And not for the first tie I wrestled with the problem of how to go back to the point before I 'installed' the extension and all its dependencies.

Now I can't see an easy and intuitive method of doing this through the Appsaudit tool.

My concern is to remove all of the dependencies that came with the extension but not any pre-existing dependencies that may be required by other packages.

I've flirted with apps as you describe.  In my experience of using AppsAudit, if you select an unwanted app for deletion, all dependencies which are only required for that app are marked for deletion as well.

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:15 AM »
OK thnx for that.

Stupidly I didn't think to look in screenshots -> videos -> opera-delete-flash for a guide to removing extensions safely...

However I have now used the deletion method for removing Banshee and its dependencies and yes vlc did stop working and so I used the same method to remove it and then appbrowser to restore it again and now all is well.

One final thought..

I understand that the tce-load -I 'extension' command will load an ondemand extension and that this is necessary before running the extension. For my less frequently used apps I would like to retire them to ondemand but I would still like to run them from my openbox menu - that is run a command that loads the extension and then runs it.
what would the correct tce-load command be for this?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
OnDemand items typically show up in a sub-menu of supported window managers.
Clicking on selected item from such menu loads and runs it. From CLI the ondemand scripts are in your path so could be run from CLI as well. Look in your tce directory for the ondemand directory which contains the generated scripts.

Typically most just select from their OnDemand sub-menu.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:15:07 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
Ok thnx.

Thought I might have to run a shell script to load, wait, and then run the app but notice that a script does that from the ondemand directory - the vlc command now calls the script in ondemand which loads the extension and then runs vlc for real this time. Clever.

It is a matter of deciding which is to be preferred - a slow first run time of an app or a slower boot time.

On the whole I think I am quite getting to like tc.