WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Need help with unofficial TCE  (Read 8711 times)

Offline newbody

Re: Need help with unofficial TCE
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »
Guy, thanks for that link to the Wiki.

First time I see it. That one will help me a lot. I report back later today if I stumble and fall.

Not to criticize. But it start by saying that the easiest is to burn a CD with TCE on.

that may be so for the majority of users but not for this one.
My Acer Aspire One Netbook does not have a built in Burner, then one would need to buy an external one.

second. the burner software I have don't make digital media that way, only for listening to music not starting an OS.

One need to have the knowledge to find that software first.

took me a year or so when learned how to make Puppy DVDs around 2008.
I've started with it 2006 with a free Ubuntu CD/DVD they gave me at the Computer Shop.
Then people told me to use Puppy instead for slow Ubuntu. So around 2008 I had learned it.

but not everybody are that challenged, I agree but I trust a lot of people have USB memory sticks but not CD or DVD burner programs.

So how to make an USB stick boot up would be cool to have there at start too?
And the absolutely easiest thing is to just place TCE on the HDD and make a frugal install.

No need for CD burner progs or to buy any USB memory drive. Just use what one already got.
But sure it needs very good description for it to work for a clumsy newbie like myself.

But around this time one year ago on another computer I did have TCE going but not I don't remember how I did it. So I guess I have to find which computer that was and copy the menu.lst entry I did that worked for me and the files and move them to the current computer and see if it starts here too.

But I sure like how you set it up there. Looks great to me.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline Guy

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 06:19:28 AM »
newbody, please clarify your situation, so we can help.

Have you not been able to install Tiny Core yet?

How do you have partitions set up?

What operating systems do you already have on the computer?

If you already have Linux, you will probably already have Grub. Is that the case?

Do you have a cd/dvd reader, but not a writer?

It is quite easy to install Tiny Core without a cd writer. I am just not clear about your situation.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:32:48 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline newbody

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
Hi Guy thanks for wanting to help me. I try to address all your questions in relation to them one by one.

newbody, please clarify your situation, so we can help.
Have you not been able to install Tiny Core yet?

I've installed the Remix by SvOlli and that one works rather good. It is the same as 341 as far as I know. He has only added a few things that comes included from scratch like maps so in grub4dos  menu.lst I did put this.  kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9 and that allowed me to do ü and ï and åäö and such.  I fail to get AltGr that would allow me to do $ £ € [] { } which I can do in Puppy.

I managed to get sound going by reading the wika. So not I have to read up on how to set up the Iptables correctly. Have no idea how one do such. Puppy do that automatically by a click.

kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9 what would happen if I change that to  kmap=qwerty/se-latin1 

okay back to your next question.

How do you have partitions set up?
I only have NTFS and three partitions set up by OEM and I use this menulist

title TinyCore  Remix by SvOlli 3.4.1 with ntfs-3g
root (hd0,2)
kernel /tce/release/bzImage tinycore opt=sda3 tce=sda3 home=sda3 local=sda3 showapps noswap syslog kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9
initrd /tce/release/tinycoreplus.gz

Maybe I did something wrong there. I need to backup to get persistence which I did hope the arguments above would give me.

What operating systems do you already have on the computer?
Win7Starter, Some ten Puppy Linux in frugal install, Archiso, Swift, Slabix, Knoppix and some more. SlitaZ  Nimblex Vector Goblin, Wolvix, Slax, etc

If you already have Linux, you will probably already have Grub. Is that the case?
Yes grub4dos

Do you have a cd/dvd reader, but not a writer?
None of that. it is a Netbook they are too small to have built in such big things.

It is quite easy to install Tiny Core without a cd writer. I am just not clear about your situation.

Well TC base need ntfs - 3g to work so it is super easy if you know how to but if you like me fail to read written instructions and understand them then it can be super difficult until I know then it sure is very easy. I've done some 25 to 30 frugal installs of Puppy Linux and it is super easy when one know how to.

Now when I already have the remix going. how can I do a frugal install of TC base or what you name it. Current version.

Will not the subdirs compete with each other? Can I rename boot to tceboot or does it not see that one ? I change the entry in grub accordingly?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
opt=sda3 tce=sda3 home=sda3 local=sda3

Maybe I did something wrong there. I need to backup to get persistence which I did hope the arguments above would give me.

None of those with exception from tce= could ever work on a non-UNIX filesystem.
Please see documentation about using backup and restore (and possibly PPR) for persistence.

I've done some 25 to 30 frugal installs of Puppy Linux and it is super easy when one know how to.

A frugal install of TC seems to be more simple compared to Puppy, as only copying of 2 files and specifying them as kernel and initrd in bootloader are required.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline newbody

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Yes tinypoodle, you are right. One only need two files but then one need a linux partition.

One can only set up such on computers that one own. OEM has made it risky to do such on their set ups with windows recovery demanding that the HDD is not touched by any formatting or shrinking because that change the size and the saved dientity of that HDD it will look tampered with.

So one need to go the USB or CD route. So sure it is easier with two instead of three files.

But TC seems then impossible to do on NTFS unless you first install it on something else and makes it ntfs-3g compatible?

Are you sure it is not possible? Have none explained how to in the whole forum?

What on earth did I do then one year ago. I remember I had it on the Menu.lst and on the HDD too but did it never boot? I have to go through all my posts since me joined to find out.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
Yes tinypoodle, you are right. One only need two files but then one need a linux partition.
But TC seems then impossible to do on NTFS unless you first install it on something else and makes it ntfs-3g compatible?

Are you sure it is not possible? Have none explained how to in the whole forum?

You seem to mix up a lot of things due to not thoroughly reading basic documentation first...

1. Frugal installs are supported out of the box on FAT* and ext* filesystems.
That is a choice of the developers made about specific filesystems, not at all about a linux partition or not, as neither FAT* are linux filesystems nor are any UNIX /Linux filesystems beyond ext* supported.

2. A UNIX filesystem would be required for any - even partial - "hybrid" type install approach (scatter mode), and that is not particular to TC in the slightest, but is valid for any Linux system.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline newbody

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 12:31:24 PM »
Then SvOlli is my hero because his remix that I use now is working very well on NTFS HDD and it do backup so I can save bookmarks on Firefox.

He changed from isolinux boot to grub4dos boot and he included the ntfs-3g so it is already built in.

That way it just works on NTFS.

But I understand. Roberts don't want to support NTFS out of the box and that is okay with me.
He is the Dev of TC so I accept he decide on what to give priority.

Offline Guy

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
newbody, I can see 3 options.

1. If you want, you can just keep using the remix, and not install the regular Tiny Core. With that remove local=sda3 from Grub4DOS.

2. I have a notebook which came with 2 ntfs partitions. I reduced the size of one, and put in an Ext3 and a swap partition in the space, and installed Linux. You could do the same.

3. You could install Tiny Core on a usb drive.

What are your thoughts?

Offline newbody

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
You are the guy with knowledge so I should shut my big mouth totally shut :)
I am a truly knowboby knowing almost nothing due to my very poor memory and my ADHD making me too impatient to read through instructions so I should not do Linux.

What my thoughts are. Hm

1. I sure will keep the remix, I love it dearly. I became member here 02/07/2010 and and now one year of waiting I found the remix and managed to get it to work. Jay heaven indeed. Finally as we say!

And if I take away the opt what does that change?

2. Nope that is not something I will do at all. I ahve three desktops that I can do it on if I that was the only way to learn TCL but as far as I know what I have now is the same 341 as anybody have only difference is that I boot it up using grub4dos and have NTFS-3g installed from scratch and kmaps also from scratch. Apart from that unless me missed some detail that is the only difference.

So from my humble point of view. Can I not act as any member here and see my install as unusual but as a regular 341 and be able to ask in the main parts of the forum?

Do I really need to mention what I described here? You would know and most likely Roberts would know but none of us need to make a big deal out of it. It is still the standard TCL apart from how I got it going. I have waited a whole year for to be able to use it so why not embrace me with open arm in the main forum parts?

That is my view on it. No I will not thrink and repartition it on my netbook.

3. That is truly possible. I have several such that only lie there unused.
okay that could be a good thing. that would allow me to participate in the main forum would it not?

I still would hope it would be okay as it now too but if that is the only way I am accepted then I do the USB thing. is it okay if it is a Fat16 or 32 usb install so I can use many different os on it?

Thanks indeed for taking time to respond.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
I still would hope it would be okay as it now too but if that is the only way I am accepted then I do the USB thing. is it okay if it is a Fat16 or 32 usb install so I can use many different os on it?

Which aspect about such is not clear enough to you by Reply #20?

Offline Guy

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
You are welcome to participate in the forum to discuss Tiny Core.

If you use the remix, it is over 99% the same, so most questions would be the same.

I don't make the decisions, but if people were to discuss things not related to Tiny Core, the team may not be happy.

If you want to install on a USB drive, the easiest way is to use HD/USB Install, which is probably in the Control Panel. In some versions it is in the menu. This makes it very easy.

Offline Guy

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
local=sda3 is for a different type of installation. With this method, some things may not work properly.

You don't have tce=sda3 and local=sda3 on the same operating system. Having both, I don't know what happens, but there may be malfunctions.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 04:40:55 PM »
Please refer to the rules and guidelines...

If you have questions on TC, that's fine, but keep remix specifics for their author/related sites, in which the remaster section serves as a list for that.

Offline newbody

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
^thehatsrule^ that is okay with me. If I install the Current TCL on an USB and then only ask about that one. Then I am within the rules. Have I got it right?
I sure want to live up to your rules. Can you confirm that the above would make me approved of?

Thanks for your patience!

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
that should be fine