WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: question  (Read 2728 times)

Offline michaelc187

question
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
Why don't yall include system recovery for people who have damage recovery for their boot disk (s)?

mines just a work station, but if it was a server i'd install a bios password.

ps. the tomsrbt is just complicated for anyone who's spent half a day doing it the hard way.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
Hi michaelc187

1. Under topic you should state something relating to your problem. "Question" is not a topic.
2. What is the problem you are having that you think we-all should be addressing?
3. Are you saying you think tinycore should install a password in your BIOS???
4. If you have a problem with tomsrbt you should address it on his website

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
Under normal circumstances, if Tiny Core works first time, it will work every time. The only time it is likely to fail, is when you have a genuine failure in the computer, such as a hard drive failure. Failure will occur so rarely, that when it occurs, you could replace the hard drive and reinstall.

Tiny Core is frugally installed. The operating system and applications, are read-only. The files do not get modified. The filesystem does not become corrupted like conventionally installed operating systems.

If you backup any important personal data, you can recover that.

If you are concerned, you can save a copy of Tiny Core (or Microcore), and extensions, but failure will occur so rarely, you are unlikely to need them.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
I've occasionally blown away TCL completely and started over, mostly for the hell of it.. By far the most time-consuming part of the recovery was re-creating my web browser bookmarks and other personal settings. Now I backup the mydata.tgz and tce.lst files to off-line storage so at least I'll have that to start from. Downloading the base system and extensions doesn't take long.

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
re-creating my web browser bookmarks

I have made my own home pages.

I don't know how much you understand html, but you can make a html page, with links to all of your favorite sites. Then make this your home page in the internet browser. I actually use several html pages, for different types of things. They have links to each other.

When you reinstall, it is quick and easy to set this as your home page again.

You can then use bookmarks for more temporary things.

For those who don't know anything about html, this may take some learning, but it is not difficult.

Bluefish is a good app for making html pages.

A good website for learning is http://www.w3schools.com/
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
the tomsrbt is just complicated for anyone who's spent half a day doing it the hard way.

Tinkering with tomsrbt is good for learning curve about the basics   ;)

I could say I could see some affinity between tomsrtbt and TC, of course minus all the capability of extensions etc.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
re-creating my web browser bookmarks

I have made my own home pages.

I don't know how much you understand html, but you can make a html page, with links to all of your favorite sites. Then make this your home page in the internet browser. I actually use several html pages, for different types of things. They have links to each other.

When you reinstall, it is quick and easy to set this as your home page again.

You can then use bookmarks for more temporary things.

For those who don't know anything about html, this may take some learning, but it is not difficult.

Bluefish is a good app for making html pages.

A good website for learning is http://www.w3schools.com/

Certain browsers would either allow an option to export bookmarks to a .html file or a choice of storing the bookmarks of browser in .html format.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)