WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using ADSL Internet Connection  (Read 4312 times)

Offline tothmarcell97

Using ADSL Internet Connection
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Hi All!

Sorry if it's a noob question but I just started using this system.
So, my question is how can I connect to ADSL?
I red somewhere to edit /etc/ppp/(something) but when I boot from the CD I couldn't find that directory.
Thanks for your help.

MT
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:23:07 AM by tothmarcell97 »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Using ADSL Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
You need a modem (which in many cases is part of a gateway, combining router and wireless AP).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tothmarcell97

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
This is okay. I got the modem, it working well on Windows XP. But I don't know how to get it working with Tiny Core Linux

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
If you do not specify in what way you want to connect to what hardware, your question(s) cannot be answered.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jerramy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
I personally have a router between my ADSL modem and my PC.  The router has it's uplink port set to use whatever IP address the modem requires (can't remember right now how exactly that's configured), and provides DHCP to all it's downlink ports.  My computer is set to use DHCP.  The rest mostly takes care of itself.

If your computer is plugged directly into the ADSL modem, then it's likely that your PC is set to use a static IP (on the same subnet as the modem).  In Windows, look at your settings by going to Start->Run and typing "cmd".  At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all".

Look at the settings for "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection".  Determine if "Dhcp Enabled" is Yes or No.  If it is yes, then TinyCore probably would have worked right out of the box, so it's probably No.

If it's No, then you have a static IP address.  Write down the IP Address and Subnet Mask values.  I'm not sure if you'll need the Default Gateway, but if that's set, write it down too.

Now start TinyCore Linux up, and open a terminal.  
You'll probably have to kill udhcpc, so type "ps" to find it's PID, then type "kill <pid>", where <pid> is udhcpc's PID.
Type "ifconfig eth0 add <address>; ifconfig eth0 netmask <mask>;" where <address> and <mask> are the values you previously wrote down.

After that, everything should work.  Of course, all that assumed you had a wired connection to the modem.

Offline jerramy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
I should note that even if this gets you online, it won't be permanent.  You'd have to do the same thing in TinyCore every time after booting.  You'll need to modify /opt/bootlocal.sh to contain "kill udhcpc" and "ifconfig" in order to make it permanent.

Offline jerramy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Good job.  Now you went and scared the newbie away.  He clearly wasn't just a Linux newbie, but a computer newbie at that.  He didn't even realize that there were various kinds of ADSL modems, or various was of connecting to them, and that each had specific required actions...

And his first (1st!) experience with our -helpful- forum is that he's gotta be a genius to figure this stuff out.  Either that, or he read my post, got it working, and never bothered to come back and say Thanks...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
Nah, you scared him off. You did not tell him how to open a terminal so everything
you told him to type in went nowhere.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:40:12 PM »
Wouldn't that require to type '> /dev/null' into a terminal?   :P

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
If you had a terminal open then yes, if you are trying to type to the desktop, then no.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »
Except if the window manager would be adequately configured for single stroke keybindings...   ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »
Of course, all that assumed you had a wired connection to the modem.

Perhaps you mean specifically a wired ethernet connection and only that?

A USB modem would probably have a wired connection, and possibly a PCI modem as well.

Offline jerramy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
 :D  Hah!  You're probably right.  I made the assumption he didn't know how to open a terminal in -windows-, what are the chances he knows how to do it in Linux?

And yeah, my instructions were totally inadequate if it's a USB modem.

Offline tothmarcell97

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »
First sorry, I couldn't use the internet for 2 days, so I couldn't reply to your posts, but thank you for them.
I know, how to use a terminal in linux and in windows too...
And, I'll try Your answers when I'll be able to try it. (I think on Sunday)

"And yeah, my instructions were totally inadequate if it's a USB modem." No, its not an USB.

And I think one think is missing from jerramy's solution. Sorry, I forgot to say, I have got a username (something@invitel.hu) and a password. I can't connect without it. Where can I set it?

And thank you again for your help.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:04:20 AM by tothmarcell97 »

Offline combo3

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:17:46 AM »
The instructions for setting up a network connection with ADSL can be found here.

You can download the pppd.tcz extension via ftp from:

ftp:// distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/

(Note: expect a long delay.)

Create the following nested folders on a USB key (assuming it's drive E:):

E:\tce\optional

and copy the pppd extension into the optional directory.

Boot Tinycore with the following option: tinycore waitusb=5

Then open appbrowser and select [local] to load the extension.

FWIW, I would strongly recommend buying a router and setting up your pppoe connection there. Connecting your computer directly to the modem is risky business.