WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using TinyCore with TinyCore64 on one set of files  (Read 2210 times)

Offline MiniQ9

Using TinyCore with TinyCore64 on one set of files
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:44:08 AM »
I ran into problems.
I want to run TinyCore and TinyCore64 from one directory, using the same settings.
Code: [Select]
bzImage
bzImage64
data/
microcore64.gz
tce/
tinycore.gz
In menu.lst two records.
Code: [Select]
title TinyCore Linux
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /TinyCoreLinux/bzImage
kernel /TinyCoreLinux/bzImage tce=sda1/TinyCoreLinux/tce restore=sda1/TinyCoreLinux/data lang=ru_RU.UTF-8 kmap=ruwin_ct_sh-UTF-8 tz=GMT-3 nodhcp noutc nozswap quiet noicons
initrd /TinyCoreLinux/tinycore.gz

title TinyCore64 Linux
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /TinyCoreLinux/bzImage64
kernel /TinyCoreLinux/bzImage64 tce=sda1/TinyCoreLinux/tce restore=sda1/TinyCoreLinux/data lang=ru_RU.UTF-8 kmap=ruwin_ct_sh-UTF-8 tz=GMT-3 nodhcp noutc nozswap quiet noicons
initrd /TinyCoreLinux/microcore64.gz

Number one problem
TinyCore not understand the "KERNEL" in. dep files and onboot.lst
filesystems-KERNEL.tcz not found!

Problem number two
I'm trying to compile the ati-fgrlx-kernel-source, but get an error.
Kernel version not mach. Sources naturally linux-headers-tinycore-2.33.3.tcz (not 64). What you need to fix?

Offline maro

Re: Using TinyCore with TinyCore64 on one set of files
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Not sure about your #2 problem, but I have a hunch WRT your #1 issue: I believe you've run into it due to a "flaw" in the 'tce-load' script. And now quoting (again) myself from an earlier thread:
... It [i.e. 'tce-load'] changes at download time the entries in the '.dep' files from 'KERNEL' to the actual value (e.g. '2.6.33.3-tinycore', which is the output of 'uname -r'). I personally believe that downloaded files should not be "fudged". I also believe that you should keep all downloaded file names intact. But you could then "mimic that flaw" of 'tce-load' by "fudging" the entries in the '.dep' files in the same way. You should then be able to use 'tce-load -i EXT' with the expected result ...

This issues usually pops up if users download the extension files directly instead of letting 'tce-load' do the downloading (and "fudging"). In your setup you are a bit worse off, as you aim to have a "joint" '.../tce' directory (for both 32 and 64-bit systems). The usual suggestion (as above) to "adjust" the .dep file(s) won't help as you could only ever have one entry (either for 32 or for 64-bit) in the .dep file (and likewise for 'onboot.lst').

So for now I can only see a chance if you have two '.../tce' directory structures (e.g. via an additional '.../TinyCoreLinux/tce64' one, combined with a change of your "guidance" to 'tce=sda1/TinyCoreLinux/tce64').

Offline MiniQ9

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »
From the whole set of distinct files will be only 5 (modules). What is the meaning of the produce and maintain 2 sets of files?
I want to ensure that everything works as advertised.
Here is a demonstration of manifest error.
Edit any .dep file (eg compiletc), add the line aa-KERNEL.tcz.
Perform tce-load-i /path/compiletc.tcz.
Get error:
aa-KERNEL.tcz not found!
And should have received error:
aa-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz not found!

Jason W, Curaga please answer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:56:33 AM by MiniQ9 »

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:13:17 AM »
Maro is correct, there is a tradeoff there. The replacement is done at download time, because it can be done then for the vast majority of cases, and thus not slow down extension loading every time.

For your case I suggest having symlinks for all the same extensions, having only the module extensions and the dep files that call those be in the other dir taking space.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline MiniQ9

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
Thanks.
I will think what to do differently.