WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (solved) how to start cftp as a terminal  (Read 2541 times)

Offline floppy

(solved) how to start cftp as a terminal
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »
hello,
i loaded cftp as "on demand" application. When clicking on the "on demand" menu for starting cftp, nothing happens. Is there a reason for this? or should i start it as a command line? but how in order to have the use in a terminal? (not as command line)
thanks. (I use TCL3_4_1)

Solution: I use now Midnight Commander as a ftp programm (on demand).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:09:23 PM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: how to start cftp as a terminal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »
"ondemand" is a shortcut to load an extension - clicking once will load the extension and what happens next depends on how the extension maker set things up.

Once you've clicked once on ondemand/cftp, what happens when you type "cftp -h" in a terminal window?

Offline floppy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
Voila ce qui arrive / here is what happens at the screen:

cftp 0.12 by Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at>

Usage: cftp {-h|-V}
       cftp [-p port] [-u user] [-s] {host|alias} [directory]
       cftp url

-h, --help        display this help message
  -V, --version     display version number
  -p, --port PORT   specify port
  -u, --user USER   specify user
  -s, --sftp        use sftp

Report bugs to <dillo@giga.or.at>.

I had expected a windows would open.. and I would scroll in few menus for loading/saving files.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
cftp is a console app. If you want a gui check out filezilla.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
@floppy: Trust me I've tested this with my 7170: cftp fritz.box

You should then see a screen which has just a single line a the top like:
Code: [Select]
drwxrwxrwx    5 root     root        16384 Jan  1  1970 DataTraveler2-0-Partiti
The name of this directory depends on your USB pendrive. At the bottom you get a status display of something like:
Code: [Select]
--cftp: fritz.box /                                              <remote>--All--
226 Transfer complete.
As the cursor is already positioned on the one available directory you have to just hit ENTER and you'll step down into that directory (i.e. your USB pendrive).

Here are some keys that you might find helpful (the full list can be obtained by pressing 'H' followed by the 'K' key, bearing in mind that 'q' is needed to quit that help):
  • the cursor up and down keys, and page up and down allow you to navigate around,
  • the ENTER key when positioned on a (remote) directory steps down into that directory (likewise will the cursor right key),
  • the ENTER key when positioned on a (remote) file name transfers that file onto your TC system (likewise will the 'd', 'l', or the cursor right key),
  • the 'h' key steps up to the parent directory (likewise will the cursor left key),
  • the 'v' key allow to quickly read a (remote) file, that means the file will be downloaded and shown with 'less' (remember to use 'q' to quit from there),
  • the 't' key can be used to tag a file (another use of 't' on a tagged file removes that tag again),
  • the 'T' key shows all tagged files (remember to use 'q' to quit from there),
  • the 'D' key downloads all tagged files,
  • the 'p' key (followed by a file name) allows to transfer a (local) file to the USB pendrive, and
  • the 'q' key is used to quit the application.

In addition to those keys there are commands that can be used after entering into the 'command mode' by pressing the ':' key. Some help can be obtained by pressing 'H' followed by the 'F' key.

In my testing the connection had the tendency to time out within a few minutes, and the 'reconnect' command (as well as the 'r' key) did not help in that matter. Nevertheless quitting the application and restrating it is IMHO so painless that this was not really much of an issue.

Regarding the matter of a GUI alternative I'll need to mention that I'm not a friend of "heavy" GUI apps. With this in mind I'd like to point out that the repository also contains the 'gftp.tcz' extension. As this is a GTK1 app it should only require ca. 1.1 MB instead of the ca. 18.6 MB for 'filezilla' (including the respective dependencies).

EDIT: I think I should add that this post is slightly geared towards the specific issue of the OP as it is know from another thread. The information should be still valid also for other users of 'cftp'.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:03:40 PM by maro »