WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [solved:] Dynamic root filesystem remastering: max initramfs size  (Read 3830 times)

Offline slo.sleuth

Does anyone know the maximum size of initramfs allowed by syslinux?  I am attempting a Dynamic remaster of TC as suggested in the wiki at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Dynamic+root+filesystem+remastering.  I don't find the limitation listed in the syslinux wiki.

I tried booting with an 82mb initramfs and booting failed, complaining it was too big.  Alternatively, I could make several initramfs files if I knew how small to make them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:19:37 PM by slo.sleuth »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Dynamic root filesystem remastering: max initramfs size
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
According to H. Peter Avin there is no such limitation by syslinux per se.
He recommends to:
a) report the output from meminfo.c32;
b) try using linux.c32 to run the kernel

b) is because linux.c32 is smarter about where it puts things than the core kernel loader; it's actually a standalone preview of the next generation Syslinux code
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline slo.sleuth

[solved:] Dynamic root filesystem remastering: max initramfs size
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
Yes, I found that, thank you.  Turns out, I'm a knucklehead!  Sometimes it just takes an embarrassing post to remind one of that fact.  

I was testing in qemu, and forgot to change the default ram from 128mb.  It booted fine when I increased the memory.

So, in case someone stumbles on this thread: Check to see that you have sufficient ram to load the initramfs if you receive the "initrd too large" syslinux error on boot.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:44:54 PM by slo.sleuth »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: [solved:] Dynamic root filesystem remastering: max initramfs size
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »
You could have mentioned something that this was about emulation, plus you neither opened the thread in the specific subforum for such, but in "TCB Q&A Forum".

Knowing that could easily have led someone to suspect a virtual mem limit.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)