Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

Dependencies for 'wireless_tools.tcz' extension

(1/1)

maro:
Would someone please correct me if my thinking here is wrong:

Let's assume one has to use the 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension, which itself depends on 'wireless_tools.tcz' (plus 'perl5.tcz'). This now "drags in" the respective 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' extension. Isn't this then in a sort of "competition" to the 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension?

Should therefore 'wireless_tools.tcz' depend on 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz'? Sure for a lot of users this is the "typical" situation (i.e. they'll need the 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' extension anyway) and quite a few other extensions depend on 'wireless_tools.tcz'. I'd imagine quite a few of those are implicitely assuming that 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' is installed as well, but is that really the "correct" way of achieving this?

I guess this question might be re-opening the can of worms WRT to "alternative dependencies" (e.g. an entry like 'ndiswrapper.tcz|'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' in 'wireless_tools.tcz').

tinypoodle:
In the particular case of wireless drivers, that would be a very dynamical can of worms, as there are many extensions with wireless drivers in the repo, and extensions with additional wireless drivers could be submitted at any given moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version