WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Microcore thinclient - a few questions  (Read 2315 times)

Offline mbrijun

Microcore thinclient - a few questions
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:33:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have only been familiar with Tinycore project for the last few days but I am already a fan :) It all started when my manager requested that we produce a thinclient for running a Citrix ICA client. to make it as lightweight as possible I am using microcore. All works well but there are a few questions that I wanted to ask:

1.  Xorg is up and running. The ICA client has to be started from the command line. What I am currently doing is starting the ICA client for .xsession file. There is no windows manager installed. When the user ends his/her ICA session, they are given a blank screen with a cursor. If they press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, they are taken into command prompt. How can I force the ICA client to autorestart every time the previous instance has been closed, so that the user is presented with the ICA logon screen instead of a blank Xorg window?

2. Is there a way of using a different mount point instead of "/mnt"? The Citrix client can automount user drives, but it only scans "/media" and "/mnt/media" folders. The only way that I can think of is to make changes to rebuildfstab script. I have tried that but then the system fails to mount the TCE persistence store.

3. Whenever Xorg starts, the numlock LED is on, but the keyboard acts as if the numlock was off. I have to manually press the numlock key a few times until the numeric keyboard starts working. How can I fix the issue? I am using a custom xorg.conf file that has the following extra options:

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

Sorry for asking many questions in one post, hopefully someone can set me on the right path....

Martin

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Microcore thinclient - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
You might try symlinking /mnt to /media.

Create program startup scripts in .X.d

#myicaprog.sh
(
  while true
  do
     icaclient
  done
) &

Offline mbrijun

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »
Hi Gerald,

Symbolic links do not seem to work with ICA... maybe I should add a new udev rule so that each media device is mounted twice: once under /mnt and also under /media. This certainly works with ICA as I have tried it manually.

As for the endless cycle, I will give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Offline mbrijun

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »
Hi,

gerald_clark's solution for auto-restarting the ICA client was spot on.

Does anyone have any experience on how to resolve the Numlock issue? The TC with Xorg 7.5 boots up, the Numlock LED is On, but in fact the numerical keyboard is off. I have read that numlockx is the solution to this problem but it seems to be missing in my case...

Thanks,
Martin

Offline holiday42

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
Some Bios have option to turn turn on/off numlock.  Try toggling it, if applicable.

Offline mbrijun

[RESOLVED] Re: Microcore thinclient - a few questions
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
The problem has been resolved with the help of a project called "numlockx". All the big guns (KDE for example) use it to enforce the numlock status.

An extension numlockx.tcz has now been created and uploaded. Anyone with similar issues please help yourself. Just stick it into your X startup scripts.

Best regards,
Martin