WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Anyone succeeded with installing vmware on TC?  (Read 27254 times)

Offline Ulysses_

Re: Anyone succeeded with installing vmware on TC?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Remains to be seen then, how long a boot takes if it restores all 4562 vmware files.  Hopefully many can be skipped.

How do I uninstall all extensions except your recommended ones for launching VM's with vmware?

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Giving it another go, this time reporting everything because of some newbie issues I faced.  

- Burn a TC 3.2 liveCD
- Boot from liveCD
- Using AppBrowser, install syslinux and dosfstools
- Using ControlPanel, do a USB Install onto a flash drive (type [E]xt)
- Boot from usb flash drive
- Using AppBrowser, install compiletc, bash, coreutils, module-init-tools, and linux-headers-2.6.33.3-tinycore

[ question: why doesn't gcc get installed when you enter "tce-load -wi compiletc"? This is why AppBrowser is used instead of the script]

- Type the following:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/

- Install vmware player
sudo bash VMware-Player-3.1.0-261024.i386.bundle
(at the prompts enter yes and no)

- Type this:
sudo sed 's:/sbin/::' -i /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware

[ question: what does the substitute command "s:" do here? ]

[ note: this is where I ran vmplayer and it produced the "VM is busy" popup ]

- Type this:
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

[ question: vmware-modconfig does not exist so this fails - why? ]

Type this:
sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware start
It should produce the following output:
Starting VMware services:
   VMware USB Arbitrator                    done
   Virtual machine monitor                  done
   Virtual machine communication interface  done
   VM communication interface socket family done
   Blocking file system                     done
   Virtual ethernet                         done
   Shared Memory Available                  done

Ready to run the player:
vmplayer

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
Executing "tce-load -w -i compiletc" will load gcc. Something else must be wrong.

- Type the following:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/
The for ... each statement I gave is simpler, but this works too.

- Install vmware player
sudo bash VMware-Player-3.1.0-261024.i386.bundle
(at the prompts enter yes and no)
I didn't mean "answer yes and no," I meant for you to type:

yes no | sudo bash VMware-Player-3.1.0-261024.i386.bundle

exactly, but that won't affect the installation.

- Type this:
sudo sed 's:/sbin/::' -i /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware

[ question: what does the substitute command "s:" do here? ]
The vmware start/stop script includes absolute pathnames to the binaries (provided by module-init-tools) which do not match their locations in Tiny Core. The alternative is to create softlinks where vmware expects to find them, but I thought it simpler to just edit the script.

[ note: this is where I ran vmplayer and it produced the "VM is busy" popup ]
You can't run vmplayer yet at this point because it isn't fully installed until after vmware-modconfig is run.

- Type this:
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

[ question: vmware-modconfig does not exist so this fails - why? ]
If vmware-modconfig does not exist, then the install must have failed.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »
There's a possible bug/unexpected behaviour in tce-load -w -i compiletc.  If you stop this while it's running (or if it stalls in the middle, saw this happen during the download of ppl, someone was checking in?), then the next time you run it it thinks the extension is fully installed ie that all extensions it depends are installed.

By the way, I was aware what you were doing with "yes no |", just felt I'd be safer to know what I'm saying yes to.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
Hurray!  Vmware up and running, posting this from a TC VM.  

This baby is hereby running a VM with 1.9 GB of ram on a 2 GB host without using any swap space... 8)  On windows xp you can't use more than 1.3 GB for your VM's so this is a major improvement.  :)

The trick to make the installation work was Xorg, it is required by the vmware .bundle script, otherwise that script fails without any error message and subsequent commands are missing or fail.  

Alsa was also required.  Might OSS be better? It is recommended for flash videos in the VM.

With Xorg and alsa added, the .bundle script produces a window like it does in any other linux distro, where you say yes/no by ticking circles in the window.

VM's need some adjustments too, /dev/dsp does not work but the first alsa option does for sound,etc.

Can't wait to run some performance benchmarks and see how TC and vectorlinux VM's perform compared to having windows xp as a host.  

What's a good benchmark for flash videos and browser scripts?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:26:39 PM by Ulysses_ »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
How do I get the list of 4562 files that vmware installs, in order to fill in /opt/.filelist.lst appropriately?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline maro

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
How do I get the list of 4562 files that vmware installs, in order to fill in /opt/.filelist.lst appropriately?

You would only have to add the respective top-most directory, as long as as no other (unwanted) files would be included as a side effect by this.

OTHO using the TC backup mechanism to backup / restore 4562 files at each shutdown and boot is IMHO simply "insane". I reckon you could be waiting there several minutes and assume that the system has come to a "standstill" whilst it's just busy with backup or restore. You really should create a private tcz extension (needs the 'squashfs-tools-4.x.tcz' extension installed).

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
Browser perf is usually measured by the various javascript tests, and the peacekeeper bench.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
Simplest method:

$ touch /tmp/stamp
... install vmware player ...
$ find / -newer /tmp/stamp

You'll need to trim out any superfluous entries, but once you have the list you can use it to create an extension. It will be a learning experience. :)

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
Probably 90% of them are superfluous or unnecessary anyway.  Maybe the vmware folks are the ones to ask about this, rather than use trial and error till hell freezes. :D

It should be like the GetFlash extension, which is only a script that you run manually in order to download flash.  

People should really be insulated from all this typing and trial and error.  I believe in computers as means to ends, it is easy to forget this is what they are.  Even extension creation should be automated somewhat as much as possible.

Is there any template for an extension like GetFlash complete with instructions how to create it?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:57:40 AM by Ulysses_ »

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
Even extension creation should be automated somewhat as much as possible.
My extensions are. This is how I calculated the 4562 figure. I rather doubt anyone else could use my highly-customized script, but I agree: automating it is helpful. My extensions would never get updated, otherwise. Here's a rough description of my script:

1) Create a temporary directory for the following steps.
2) Extract tinycore.gz.
3) Extract compiletc deps and any other extensions required to build the source.
4) Chroot into the directory, perform a few initialization steps, then build from source.
5) Remove all files extracted in steps 2 and 3, leaving only the binaries built in the previous step.

That much isn't too difficult to automate, but the next steps are real time savers:
6) Package remaining files into a base extension with -dev, -doc, and -lib extensions as appropriate.
7) Create a .list and .md5.txt file for each extension.
8) Create a .info using a T2 desc file as a template.
9) Run ldconfig recursively on every file to create a list of required libraries.
10) Search the tce directory for extensions containing those libraries and create a .dep file (not comprehensive).
11) Audit using a customized version of the extension audit script.
12) Package all of the generated files into a bcrypted tar for submission.

Bugs in my script cause Jason grief on occasion (a good reason to not distribute it), but the concepts are worth sharing. They could be discussed and refined in the scripting forum, so I might do that.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
What if you create an extension that takes the current state of the filesystem and does a backup of it into a .tcz.  This would then be the user's private extension, dependent on all their chosen extensions.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »
An extension is read-only. You can't include the whole filesystem in an extension or else lots of things will break. Do you mean only changed files? You have a couple of methods to find changed files:
1) Use a timestamp and "find -newer"
2) Install in a chroot then subtract out the files.

The timestamp method is widely used for its simplicity. Does it work for you?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
Even if doing a scatter install or creating a new initrd based on "current state of the filesystem" (which as opposed to an extension would be on a writable resp. expanded to a writable file system) certain dirs could not be included, e.g. /mnt and /proc.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)