Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

[SOLVED] wine: How to pass filenames to win apps?

<< < (2/4) > >>

aus9:
hi

I have only just tried out rox so until you get a better reply try this

1) I am using wine-gl version and as per info, installed gecko installer and tweaked the winecfg run as local user=tc

2) start rox

icon 7 from left...click to show extra details....reveals file details instead of icons (my preference)

icon 9 click to show hidden files

3) navigate in .wine to pathway where pdf file exists

eg .wine/drive-c/users/tc/My Music

click on third icon...its the lemon? to bookmark this folder

I am right handed

RH click on your target file ....file.pdf

select "set run action"

clear the list if its wrong for your current pdf action "association"

otherwise, leave this window open and now navigate in rox to your executable

eg if you have linux foxit..../usr/local/bin/foxit etc

or if its the windows editon ....maybe  .wine/.....Program files /foxit etc

Which ever app it is....Left hand click and hold the icon and drag it into the grey box to associate it

4) now left hand clicking the pdf should open foxit at your file page

good luck

PS I suggest you also click on the help icon ? and associate the manual.html with your fav web browser executable....for me its /usr/local/firefox-official/run-mozilla.sh

Help section 16 refers

jur:
Hey aus9 thanks for the effort... really appreciated... :) unfortunately it is not what my problem is. The process you outlined above there I have already been using for the past year or so.

My current problem is that using this procedure with a Windows app running on wine, the filename does not get passed correctly to the Windows app, perhaps because of Windows using backslash vs linux using forward slash in the paths. So the Windows app starts all right but without the file loaded. Foxit for Windows won't even start, instead just displaying a dialog box and then closing again.

Sometimes Windows apps are all that's available for particular applications.

curaga:
Windows apps actually do translate the slashes, but they consider \ to be C:\.

aus9:
hi

OOPS

I fogot to specify you can't use /home/tc/filename.pdf

It HAS to be home/tc/.wine/pathway/folder/filename.pdf

Do you actually mean it does not work for foxit (windows version) or are you being nice and not naming the actual executable for fear it might attract some flames? If so, pm the name of the app and if its freeware shareware I can test on the weekend

jur:
No I mean foxit for Windows which somehow performs much better than the linux version. I also use LTspice which the author has developed specifically to run with wine. Another app would be irfanview.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version