WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Recovering GUI when systray icon got "lost"  (Read 2098 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Recovering GUI when systray icon got "lost"
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:43 AM »
Is there any known way to recover the GUI (making it reappear) of a running process which has been minimized to systray when the systray icon has disappeared?

Specific case is about X-chat2 while using jwm.
jwm has been reconfigured and restarted a few times and X-chat2 systray icon no longer shows, while process is still running, and I would like to get the GUI back in the state it was.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: Recovering GUI when systray icon got "lost"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Perhaps a very round-about way: Install tint2, it will show up in its tray. Then you can control it again.

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
u could also try xystray
dCore user

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:45:47 AM »
jur,
thanks for the tip about tint2, will have that in mind if/when similar case reoccurs.

jls_legalize,
in fact I did try with xystray, but it never came properly up, there was an X error msg, not remembering for sure if it segfaulted.
Assuming incompatibility of xystray with jwm tray's <Dock> item, I also tried after commenting latter out and restarting jwm, and when that did not work with flwm and finally after killing wm without any wm whatsoever, but xystray still failed to come up.

The fact that xystray errored without any wm running makes me wonder if the very fact of a "lost" systray icon per se could prevent xystray from running...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jls

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:08:40 AM »
I used a lot xystray witjout any problems in the past with flwm, now that I switched to e17 I don't use it anymore cause e17 has got a systray bult in.
I had a file called  xystray.sh in ~/.X.d :
Code: [Select]
[ $(which xystray) ] && xystray -bg black -iconrows 6 -iconcols 1 -g +0+0 &
dCore user

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:43:25 AM »
Yes, I had used xystray in flwm_topside and flwm in past too and now with the attempt to recover systray icon GUI I just tried 'xystray' as well as

xystray -g -0-23 &

and

[ $(which xystray) ] && xystray -g -0-23 &

which is still in my .xsession (TC 2.10)