WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Skype and TC 3.0  (Read 18405 times)

Offline nick65go

Re: Skype and TC 3.0
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »
More info about this bastard (aka closed source skypeOSS). By default, it writes into /home/tc/.Skype folder. So if you have a SDD or USB, you do not wish this bad behavior ;) to premature kill your flash.
For testing purpose, I copyed only the executable into RAM, as /tmp/123/myskype, and after loading the dependence modules, I forced it to store its files in /tmp/123/456, like this :
./myskpe --dbpath=456 --disable-api

beacause the /tmp/123/456 is very offen re-wroten, as skype is a peer-to-peer voice IP;
So it store here all the NOT NEED history, all its updated crypted info about your privacy, etc,
You maybe wish to extract from  here ONLY the configuration settings, zip them and store them somewhere (like /opt/myskyconf.gz). You can then upload  settings from a startup small script from your tcz (/tmp/tcloop/skypeOSS/usr/locale/tce.installed/skypeOSS)

Here are the your files, specific to your config, as to quick start skype, without its specific delay:
./456:
total 44
drwxr-xr-x    3 tc       staff           80 Aug 28 15:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 tc       staff          100 Aug 28 15:06 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 tc       staff           60 Aug 28 15:03 nick65go/
-rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff        42646 Aug 28 14:59 shared.xml

./456/nick65go:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x    2 tc       staff           60 Aug 28 15:03 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 tc       staff           80 Aug 28 15:03 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff         4073 Aug 28 14:57 config.xml

Have  fun with TC ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
By default, it writes into /home/tc/.Skype folder. So if you have a SDD or USB, you do not wish this bad behavior ;) to premature kill your flash.
But there is no writing to flash when there is writing to /home while running TC in default mode anyway.
Writing to flash would occur with persistent home, which I don't think is recommendable with flash.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline nick65go

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 02:13:38 AM »
@ tinypoodle
OK about flash and TC default. But I just wanted to remind others to avoid this behaviour.
The main idea remains, as with saved skype config (loaded before skype runs) it start faster, for me in 3 seconds not in 20 sec as without config.

Could someone suggest an equivalent for skype? I wish an IM with sound + video + text, to work both for linux and windows, as same friends still use the windows XP. Of course no bloat KDE on TC linux, just skype + yahoo protocols. thanks.

aus9

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:56 AM »
hi Nick

thanks for your input to OSS so far.

2) To anyone,

Has anyone tested Nick's oss method using a non-uvc webcam?

(I have a uvc compliant web cam )

(I now have a modem/router than can handle VOIP so skype is no longer an issue for me)

regards

Gordy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:15:56 AM by aus9 »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »

For more info see http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/PJSUA It is a work in progress to make the extension.

BMarkus,
Thanks. By saying it is work in progress to make an extension, I understand it is not mature enough to make an extension. Or you mean making extension of this is already a work in progress...

TinyPoodle,
Thanks for the info. I see that the entire process you implemented is not exactly easy for me to replicate. It would be fantastic to have a SIP client extension but I understand it requires non-trivial amount of work.

It means that I'm working on to make an extension. PJSUA is a sample application built on the pjproject VoIP framework. It requires a bit more work than usual applications to find which components are needed as it comes mixed with many other stuff which are not needed, Python tests, etc. PJSUA starts, but not tested yet with my home VoIP server (Asterisk).

So it will come in the next days if everything works well.

pjsua.tcz is submitted.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tclfan

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »
BMarkus,

Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
fyi
Gmail Video & Voice Chat Comes To Linux
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUyOA
wow, if I could just replace skype  ;D

Offline schultzter

• Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
I just got Skype working with ALSA (well, only made a couple test calls so far).  I'll try and write it up as an extension but it will probably need some revision before it's stable - it would be my first extension!

I basically just downloaded the Skype-static tarball from skype.com, re-filed the contents in the TC preferred directories, squashed it up, put it into optional, and loaded it from Local using the AppBrowser.

Many thanks to the authors of wiki article on Creating extensions, that's basically what I followed (and I had roberts getFlash10.sh script for reference too).
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

Offline nick65go

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
FYI, I do believe that repacking Skype (as tcz extension) is FREE, and anyone could add this to repository ;) as I see this subject was read many times.
for official confirmation, as to kill any doubt, please see this:
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/community/skype/repos/community-i686/PERMISSION

regards, Nick

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
Assuming the terms are still the same, that is incorrect - permission would be required.  Please see the earlier messages in this thread, or the link you posted.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:29:55 AM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline nick65go

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 01:35:43 AM »
To make my point of view more clear:
It is no use to, let say, if I will obtain the permission to repackage or re-distribute this software. It will be more usefully if a permanent/staff of TC development team will have it, as the package could be maintained/updated.

IMHO, I do not believe that permission could not be granted (again?), as long as at least a (important) distribution (like Arch, Ubuntu, etc) has it.

But maybe why you bother for a close source software? this is the real challenge  ;)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
To make my point of view more clear:
It is no use to, let say, if I will obtain the permission to repackage or re-distribute this software. It will be more usefully if a permanent/staff of TC development team will have it, as the package could be maintained/updated.
That doesn't matter, as it would be for the project's repository

But maybe why you bother for a close source software? this is the real challenge  ;)
huh?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
FYI, I do believe that repacking Skype (as tcz extension) is FREE, and anyone could add this to repository ;) as I see this subject was read many times.
for official confirmation, as to kill any doubt, please see this:
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/community/skype/repos/community-i686/PERMISSION

regards, Nick

Umm, linked e-mail is more than 5½ years old...
So, even in case of interpretation of it's content being more than an exclusive grant to a specific applicant of permission - while being signed as: 
Information contained in this e-mail is confidential and proprietary.

regards,
Jaanus Kase, Skype
- it could hardly overrule the current info retrievable from the site of the software manufacturer, which clearly does not allow free redistribution.

TC does include closed source in repo, e.g. opera which is - as opposed to skype - known to be freely redistributable (and mirrored on many software repo servers worldwide).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:41:18 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline nick65go

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2010, 02:54:01 AM »
OK, I understand that you support even close source software. It is kind that you answer my queries. I do not try to open a conflict here.

I was just thinking about to have for skype some kind of extension, like getflash.tcz, not to re-distribute the binary, but to automatically do this by some updated scripts. It is just a suggestion.

I invested some time to make this software to work, it was a pain, and I have shared my results in this forum, so for me is no  more a problem now, any way you will proceed.

By default I do not like close source software. But I have to use it then there is no better solution for my specific needs.

I try to get help for a SMALL alternative solution to skype (text chat, voice over internet, web-cam video, file transfer). Those services should not necessary been integrated into one solution. Cloud computing is OK, as I need anyway internet to communicate oversea.

For example I could use meebo for text chat, but voice & video is not working even with flash loaded.

I have started from here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software
but the subject / alternatives are overwhelming and my time/knowledge is limited.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2010, 03:19:17 AM »
I was just thinking about to have for skype some kind of extension, like getflash.tcz, not to re-distribute the binary, but to automatically do this by some updated scripts. It is just a suggestion.

There's an install script here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3165.0

..it might need some small modifications for the latest version of skype