WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] AppBrowser connection error  (Read 5770 times)

Offline tnsenew

[SOLVED] AppBrowser connection error
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Hi: this has been brought up several times before, but I'm not sure that suggested solutions apply in my case.

I've just downloaded the LiveCD image, and booted a geriatric first generation Pentium with it - problems with max. monitor resolution vs default aside (and fixed) - everything seems to be running OK, but I can't get AppBrowser to work. When I start it and click Connect the message:

Connection error, check network or mirror appears.

Selecting Mirrors elicits the message:

Connection error, check network or ibiblio

My Network settings (e.g., via cpanel) are:

Code: [Select]
Interface: eth0
Use DHCP Broadcast: No
IP Address: 192.168.0.31
Broadcast: 192.168.0.255
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Name Servers: <two entries corresponding to my ISPs DNS servers)

If I open a Terminal, and run some tests, the output is:

ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (173.194.36.104) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.36.104: seq=0 ttl=54 time=42.256 ms

nslookup google.com
Server: <ISP DNS server IP>
Address 1: <ISP DNS server IP> <ISP DNS server name>

Name: google.com
Address 1: 173.194.36.104

wget $(cat /opt/tcemirror)
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org (152.46.7.109:80)
wget: can't open 'index.html': Permission denied

cat /etc/resolv.conf
<IP address of ISP DNS server 1>
<IP address of ISP DNS server 2>

...so DNS seems to be working, and I can contact the outside world. I don't connect through a proxy. I've been reading THIS thread, which has lots of useful information, even if I don't follow all of it - complete newbie I'm afraid.

Any suggestions much appreciated (at the moment I really only want to see how well web browsing works!). Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:04:02 PM by tnsenew »

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
Re: AppBrowser connection error
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
What happens when you try to run these commands?   Do you get an error message or are the files successfully downloaded? 

/usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz

busybox wget -cq ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/mirrors.lst

Make sure you run the commands from a directory that you have write access to (like the tc home directory or /tmp)

Offline tnsenew

Re: AppBrowser connection error
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
ixbrain, thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I switched the machine off just after I'd written that message. It's a few hours later and I turned it back on to try out your suggestion - but I noticed that (in contrast to the last session) - the tinycore logo was visible on the desktop background - I wondered what else might be different...
On a whim I've just tried AppBrowser (having re-entered identical network settings) and... it worked. I've absolutely no idea what was different this time from last, but it seems to be running perfectly now.

So, sorry to have wasted your time, but I appreciate your help all the same!

Offline beerstein

Re: [SOLVED] AppBrowser connection error
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:31:39 AM »
Hi:
I had a similar prolbel lst week with TC 3.0
I think there is a file somewhere which contains all the URLs of the mirrors.
If this file contains only one mirrot (a ftp mirror f.i. which is not accessable)
You will get the error messeges with no way out or back.

regards
beerstein
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline pinkfoxpart2

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
 Just downloaded Tinycore on my USB.  I am trying to log on to the internet and it is giving me a error message.  Connection Error Check local Network or mirror.  I am plugged into the internet through the back of my computer.  When I boot it using a cd it logs me into the internet.  what should i do to fix this error? :-\

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
@pinkfoxpart2: Open a terminal and use the following commands to identify what might be the problem. If you don't get an result (or an obvious error message) to any of these commands we probably have found a reason:
  • (a) Identify your interface: ifconfig -a | grep Ethernet | grep -v dummy In most cases this will be 'eth0', which I will now use in the following steps.
  • (b) Identify whether the interface is up (i.e. ethernet connection been detected): ifconfig eth0 | grep UP
  • (c) Identify whether an IP address is assigned: ifconfig eth0 | grep inet
  • (d) Identify whether a default gateway exists: route | grep '^default.*eth0$'
  • (e) Identify whether you can 'ping' an external host: ping 8.8.8.8
  • (f) Identify whether you have a DNS server defined: grep nameserver /etc/resolv.conf
  • (g) Identify whether DNS name resolution is working: nslookup google.com
  • (h) Identify whether HTTP is working: wget -O - http://example.com
  • (i) Identify whether download of a single file from the TC repository is working: tce-fetch.sh info.lst

If all these are steps are working well, you might just had bad luck (e.g. the server was too busy). But any failure in any of thoses steps should help us to understand your problem better, so please repond back here with such a finding.

BTW, in the future you might not want to tack your question to a thread which was already marked as resolved. You could have just opened a new one. I hope that one of the admins will split this one off to a new thread (^thehatsrule^ is usually pretty good in doing so).

Offline pinkfoxpart2

Re: [unreSOLVED] AppBrowser connection error
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
when i type in eth0 it gives me the following

up bradcast running multicast mtu:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:13873 errors:2 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0

then when i ping 8.8.8.8 it says 56 data bytes

an it still gives me a connection error