WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Slimmest web browser that works with this forum?  (Read 5200 times)

Offline jerramy

Slimmest web browser that works with this forum?
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
Which of the supported web browsers work with this forum?  Dillo crashes when I try to log in (even with cookies enabled), and links-cli just pops me back as Guest (I'll look for cookie settings there).

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Slimmest web browser that works with this forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Posting this with links in graphics mode.
QED!

EDIT: It's spitting out some unessential warnings which can be disregarded, and when trying to click emoticon it fails due to lack of javascript, otherwise like a champ! :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:00:47 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jerramy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
Thank you, that worked!

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
And this is an attempt in links just in an aterm... :-P
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jerramy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
For some reason that didn't work for me, it just reloaded me as Guest.  Maybe I was doing something wrong. ???

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
Well, i used links.tcz in text mode, not links-cli.tcz, in case that could ever play a role.

Offline jerramy

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
That could be the difference.  I had used links-cli.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:33:11 AM »
Posting this with links in graphics mode.
QED!

EDIT: It's spitting out some unessential warnings which can be disregarded, and when trying to click emoticon it fails due to lack of javascript, otherwise like a champ! :D

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning: topic is currently/will be locked!
Only admins and moderators can reply.

Getting upper message every time when hitting reply in a thread.
Appears like this is some text in html source of forum supposed to stay hidden.

None of the formating buttons at top of reply box work when clicked, however, their function is visible in status bar, so they could be used as a cheat sheet ;)

FWIW, using Links 2.1pre28 compiled with javascript support on framebuffer console at the moment - the latest version including (whatever) javascript support.

On another note, hitting Ctrl+C over a highlighted chunk of text would not just copy marked text - as a highly optimistical and unsuspected - user might expect, but instantly closes current virtual console window.
A workaround I found would be duplicating the window before doing so, using menu entry "New window" ;)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
netrik appears to work fine for browsing and reading the forum  :)

logging in fails though.

Given the size of 48KB and only dependency being ncurses, still a pretty good deal though  ;D

chimera2 doesn't seem to render forum threads correctly.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »
Testing forum with elinks on a tty, no mouse.
Login works perfectly well, and I'd expect cookies to last over sessions when configured so - as opposed to links2.

Otherwise similar to links besides from different look (colours), and of course tabbed browsing. ;D

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:42:12 AM »
Another advantage of elinks I just found is that content of "quote" and "code" could be distinguished by reverse colours, while in links if there are many quotes it could at time become a bit difficult to figure out who wrote what.

Offline david.w

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
hi, forks. Dillo 2.2 works well here and its xft font support supports cjk well :-D

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
Slightly expanding the subject, hv3 is so far the slimmest browser I have come across in which the forum still would look and feel like in a full bells and whistles browser, except that it feels to be very fast with the forum.                                                   

After squashing the Generic.Linux binary from http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html it weighs 2.5MB                                                                           
libstdc++-5.0.7.tcz is a required dependency.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
Hmph, on second look...
When hitting "Preview"of Reply and then from Preview "Post" hv3 brings that up as an empty message.
Means Preview should probably be avoided...

Edit: similar happens when quoting a reply.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:31:34 AM by tinypoodle »