WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A couple of password questions  (Read 9109 times)

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
A couple of password questions
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »
I have a couple of questions regarding passwords (I understand it is possible to change the passwords via your backup file, these questions are just related to how Tiny Core runs by default): 

- When using the "user=" boot code, the custom user is assigned a password of "tcuser".  If you don't specify the "user=" boot code, the default tc user doesn't have a password set.   Why the difference? 

- Why does the root user have the password set to "root"? 

- Instead of having these 2 default passwords, would it be more secure to not have passwords defined at all for these accounts? 

Thanks,
Brian

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: A couple of password questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
For user root we don't want autologin, for user tc we do.
Additional users were typically for ssh access, where you would want at  least a default  password.
You can always to choose to setup your own passwords with the protect and secure boot options.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:28:52 AM »
For user root we don't want autologin, for user tc we do.
Additional users were typically for ssh access, where you would want at  least a default  password.
You can always to choose to setup your own passwords with the protect and secure boot options.

Thanks for the information.  I have a couple of suggestions:

If the root password was set to "*" in /etc/shadow, I think this would prevent autologin, while also not providing a default root password.  Not having a default root password could prevent possible security issues once users start installing extensions. 

Regarding the default password for custom users created with "user=", it might be helpful if this was better documented that there is a default password (possibly in the ISOLINUX f2/f3 files?).  I wasn't aware that there was a default password until I saw it in the tc-config script. 

Thanks,
Brian

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
root password set to *
Thanks!
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.