WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Help me put the finishing touches on?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline TheRiddler

Help me put the finishing touches on?
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
So, I have been playing with Tiny Core for some time now: even being a linux newb it has been fairly easy to understand. Much respect to the developers. The project I am working on is a network bootable ISO that automagically mounts an NTFS windows partition /w read/write capability, loads and configures samba, loads a vnc server, then loads and logs in to a hamachi vpn server. As you might have guessed, this is for remote support of hosed windows installs. So far, it works great! I can mount the affected drive remotely and scan it for malware, fix registry errors, and replace missing or corrupted windows files EVEN WHEN the user is behind a router without a 'real' ip address. Snazzy!

In my newbness, there are some things I need to do to complete this, and I can't quite seem to figure it out. In order to facilitate the process, here is what I did from SCRATCH to setup this TC distro. At the end, I will list the things I still need help with. Thanks in advance!!

Initial TC Load:
Used USB install directed @ an iso on a local hard drive. For some reason, it wasn't complete and I had to do two things to get it working correctly. I had to open the iso and drop the tinycore.gz on the USB drive manually as it was missing. I also had to edit the .cfg file because it had the wrong filename. After that, it worked.

Extensions:
Here is the list of extensions I installed directly from the App Browser...

compiletc
ntfs-3g
x11vnc
samba
nano
xfe
make
tar
gedit
squashfs

Configuration:

To get hamachi running since there was no extension made, I did the following:

Code: [Select]
cd /home/tc
wget http://files.hamachi.cc/linux/hamachi-0.9.9.9-20-lnx.tar.gz
mkdir hamachi

(copied .gz to hamachi folder then)

tar -zxvf hamachi-0.9.9.9-20-lnx.tar.gz
cd hamachi-0.9.9.9-20-lnx.tar.gz
sudo make install

(ignored error about tuncfg)

sudo su
tuncfg
hamachi-init
hamachi start
hamachi login
hamachi join kcvgnet mypassword
hamachi go-online kcvgnet
hamachi set-nick testlaptop

(then, I opened a new terminal and began a ping against my other computer on that network, because hamachi on linux drops the connection if there is no activity for more than 30 seconds)

To get samba up and running, I did the following:

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
(opened user/local/etc/init.rd/samba/smb.conf in sudo gedit and pasted the following)

[Global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = TESTSHARE
security = share
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
max log size = 50
load printers = no
printcap name = /device/null

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /mnt/sdc1/nobody
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0774
force group = +staff
printable = no

[webserver]
comment = web server
path = /mnt/sda1
public = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
printable = no

then

sudo usr/local/etc/init.d/samba start
cd /usr/local/bin
sudo smbpasswd -a nobody
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/samba restart

To start x11vnc I did the following:

x11vnc -forever
(x11vnc will stop the daemon after the first connection drops if the -forever flag isn't there)

After all that, I can see the unit online in hamachi, I can go to the mounted NTFS volume remotely by \\HamachiIP, and I vnc into the machine with the HamachiIP as well. Just about everything you need to support remotely.

What I still need help with:

I tried, I really did, to make an extension of hamachi. I failed. In the wiki, after tar, it mentions ./configure.... I have no idea how that works.

I need all 4 primary things in this distro to load, configure themselves,  and start automatically during boot. I kind of have a *clue* how to do this, but... not really. I imagine vnc, samba, and ntfs-3g can't be that hard, but hamachi is a different story.

I need a way to use the hamachi list command to grab a valid ip after connecting to the network in order to start a keep alive ping automatically... in addition the set-nick parameter, I want a way to perhaps have it auto set to... I don't know.. something unique. Like the mac address. Maybe the keep alive ping could ping it's own hamachi ip? Idk.

I still don't really understand how to make an ISO of all this once I have it exactly how I want it. It SEEMS simple, but... I am a newb!  ???

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:37:21 PM by TheRiddler »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Help me put the finishing touches on?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
./configure, make are just the most common steps. If your package doesn't use them, no big deal. You might just need to hack around a bit to get the files you want to the extension.

For (console) things on boot, see /opt/bootlocal.sh. For making an iso, see the wiki page on integrating extensions; you'd only add your desired backup to the tce dir on the iso.

For x11vnc, add the start command for that to a file in ~/.X.d.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline TheRiddler

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
Hey thanks for the advice... still struggling with the making of a hamachi extension though. I don't know why. Seems like its' the easiest installer in the world... just 3 files apparently? I even was able to make a tcz out of them, and install them through app browser with the local button... they even showed up in tcloop folder... but of course.. after reboot, gone. Was not able to select that tcz in the Apps Audit OnBoot thing... what did I do wrong? I skipped the md5 and .dep steps... is that absolutely required?

I was able to the get the vnc server to load on boot and ntfs-3g to automount though.. thanks for that.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
Where did you store that hamachi.tcz?

As the earthly presence, it needs to be stored on nonvolatile media to survive acute cases of operating power loss.
;)
ie. did you put it on your hd?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.