WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Python 2.7 is out  (Read 25064 times)

Offline Arslan S.

Re: Python 2.7 is out
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
rabbitvcs depends on meld, i use rabbitvcs with gnome, and meld is working with python 2.7 for me ???
can you at least create meld for python 2.7 too please

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 04:42:07 AM »
I still think the best approach is to name the 2.6 stuff with the 2.6 suffix, to free the current python extensions from needing to be named 2.7.  And for the eventual phasing out of 2.6 but for what is absolutely necessary to keep.

To help work towards having one python version in the repo, as we have obvioulsy by now seen the complications of supporting 2 python versions.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:19 AM »
I'm ready to rename, adjust, ... my extensions as soon as renaming

python.tcz -> python-2.6.tcz
python-2.7.tcz -> python.tcz

is done.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 05:16:39 AM »
Ok.  I was starting sort of 'top down' with the apps that have no dependencies. 

But I will next rename python.tcz to python-2.6.tcz, and python-2.7.tcz to python.tcz.

Of course, all affected dep files will need adjusting on each renaming of any extension, but I will take care of that as we go.

Offline jls

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »
rabbitvcs depends on meld, i use rabbitvcs with gnome, and meld is working with python 2.7 for me ???
meld with python 2.7 gives segfault to me
dCore user

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:38 AM »

i just build meld 1.4.0 using your build script with pygtk-2.7 and it is working fine
maybe it is about new pygtk i haven't updated my local tce yet

Offline jls

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 06:34:56 AM »

i just build meld 1.4.0 using your build script with pygtk-2.7 and it is working fine
maybe it is about new pygtk i haven't updated my local tce yet
I tested with the new pygtk and I get segfaults
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »
I renamed the python extensions as mentioned above, with affected dep files adjusted:

python.tcz (2.6)  --->> python-2.6.tcz

python-dev.tcz (2.6)  --->>  python-2.6-dev.tcz

python-2.7.tcz --->>  python.tcz

python-2.7-dev.tcz  ---->>   python-dev.tcz

Please use appsaudit to fetch new dep files.  Also, remove the python-2.7.tcz extension, and allow the python.tcz to be updated with the new 2.7 version one.

Now we will start renaming the old python packages.  Lets please be patient with each other, as it may be a tedious process with perhaps some typos or errors along the way.  Also, there may be discussion or disagreement on which extensions need the 2.6 suffix.  It may be a rough road until we get a good handle on the situation, so lets keep that in mind as we proceed and work toward a common goal.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:20:45 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2010, 04:23:18 AM »
BeautifulSoup.tcz already has a 2.7 version available with the -2.7 name, and no other extensions depend on it.

My recommendation is to remove BeautifulSoup.tcz and rename the 2.7 version to BeautifulSoup.tcz.

Will do so in a week or so if I do not hear objections from the extension maker.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2010, 04:51:13 AM »
Bmarkus has said he will rename his extensions to 2.6, and I am happy for folks to rename their own.  Let me know here and I will wait for you do do it.  Either way I will be checking and adjusting affected dep files as I upload the renamed extension.

But it has already been decided to rename 2.6 stuff as 2.6, and the python.tcz extensions themselves have been renamed to pave the way.  The time for discussion of that has past.  In any democracy, once a vote has been cast and a decision has been made, the decision is carried out even though there will invariably remain some differences of opinion.  There has been more than plenty of time for discussion of the python situation, even to the point of "paralysis of analysis".   Now is simply the time to carry out the renaming of 2.6 stuff. 

The way I define a python package is if it has files in /usr/local/lib/pythonx.x directory.  Others that have python files in other directories should not need renaming. 

Offline robc

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »
Either way I will be checking and adjusting affected dep files as I upload the renamed extension.
Why isn't the renaming being done with a script?
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
I was giving the extension makers a chance for those who would rather do it themselves.  Since there has been no other submissions recently of renamed 2.6 stuff, I take that as a go ahead to resume renaming the rest. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
I will be starting on the renaming soon.

I also notice that Arch Linux has patched wicd to work with python 2.7.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:05 PM »

I also notice that Arch Linux has patched wicd to work with python 2.7.

Thanks. There is an ongoing discussion at WICD'S bugtracking page at launchpad, seems to be other fix also. Will check them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:17:44 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2010, 07:20:22 AM »
2.6 stuff renamed, went well and dep files seem to have no errors.  Hopefully this is the last dealing with 2.6 aside from fixing any conflict or similar that may arise.

It will be a pain on the first tce-update, check for missing dependencies after updating dep files, and deleting the old extensions that were converted to the 2.6 name is desirable.  But once done it should be smooth from now.