WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I swear that I searched ... (Xorg)  (Read 1682 times)

Offline xpto09

I swear that I searched ... (Xorg)
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
I swear that I tried to install Xorg.
I always get a black screen or a fatal error.

What are the steps to configure it?

Offline maro

Re: I swear that I searched ... (Xorg)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:56:09 PM »
Well, there is always the chance that your system does not play nicely with 'Xorg'. What hardware are you running on?

For a lot of users the "confless" mode of 'Xorg' seems to work quite well, that is to not supply a specific config file. If I were you I'd try first Xorg -probeonly and analyze the error / warning messages. You should also take a very good look at '/var/log/Xorg.0.log'.

With sudo Xorg -configure you could "ask" 'Xorg' to create a skeleton config file. You could then apply your changes to this file and either copy it as 'xorg.conf' to '/etc/X11' or use Xorg -config /path/to/the/new/xorg.conf.

There is a lot of material to be found on the net about all this. I agree it can be at times confusing, so please take care when reading to check that the information is current. Quite a few things have changed over the last few years so things that were correct 3 years ago might not be so any more.

Offline xpto09

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »
At this moment I am using Virtualbox.
I like to play with Virtualbox.
All remasters that I tested in Virtualbox always worked.
Could be this the problem?
This was the first time I tried to use Xorg.

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
Well, it is a known fact that in the VBox VM one needs the ''VBox-OSE-additions-x11.tcz' extension to run 'Xorg'. This extension comes with it's own 'xorg.conf' file, so after installing it you should have no difficulties to use 'Xorg' (e.g. via startx). As ''VBox-OSE-additions-x11.tcz' itself depends on 'Xorg-7.4.tcz' you would not even have to install the latter separately.

I myself use VBox a lot (mostly testing things out with TC and other distributions) and I don't see any real advantage in using 'Xorg'. For me the default X server (i.e. 'Xvesa') works very well, but YMMV.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
Afaik, vbox+xorg works with the vesa driver (with busids, I think), but by default the autoconfigure will result in a crashing config.