WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: what linux distro closest resembles TC?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline damarious25

what linux distro closest resembles TC?
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
What linux books should I be reading to learn more about tiny core? I have some n00b questions I'd rather not have to come back here to ask daily.

I know theres all kinds of distros that have their own small differences, I want to learn more about how to properly work with TC.

Example, I've downloaded some apps that don't show at the bottom of the desk top or in apps on a right click. Presumably it's a program location thing but I just don't know?

So what linux distro closest resembles TC? I've only ever used a little ubuntu and slackware. TC is something I plan on placing on a netbook while slackware will be my desktop distro (unless I learn what I need about TC before I get the netbook in 3 months).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:20:42 PM by damarious25 »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: what linux distro closest resembles TC?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
Slax has a similar idea. In fact close to identical as far as I can see, with squashfs modules hooked on to a core.

There are some puppylinux versions which also use the same idea.

Offline damarious25

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »
ok. thanks for the quick reply. so if i'm running into some noob problems I could just research some slack stuff? only because its a little more popular you know...

EDIT: like the slackware handbook? (slackware linux essentials. sorry)

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
Here's an interview where Tiny Core's creator explains its history and design philosophy. Maybe not as technical as you need, but a place to start:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090323#feature

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
Well, it really depends what your problems are and how much you already know about Linux (or *NIX for that matter).

If it comes to deciding which mode to choose you won't find help anywhere else. The installation of TC (and MC) is rather unique hence carefully reading the concept and FAQ pages is essential. Likewise searching this forum (and the Wiki) should be the first thing you do. Please bear in mind that TC is still in a rather brisk development phase, hence not all Wiki entries or (older) forum threads are up to date. I for one always use the "Most recent topic first" search order. Whilst that might not always be the best heuristic I personally think it has worked well for me.

In case of generic setup questions (e.g. color preferences in an application) other sources should be able to guide you equally well. Likewise if it comes to questions re. parameters and options I usually consult some online man pages. Due to the minimalistic approach of TC/MC you typically don't get the documentation included in an extension. Often it's available as a separate extension, but I rarely want to have it installed.

Furthermore, don't forget that not every extension contains a GUI application (for which one expects to see additional icons or menu entries). In my case the majority of installed extensions are CLI ones. So if you don't know what to expect from a particular application you could take a look at their web page first (or try to consult Wikipedia).

And finally: Asking questions the smart way is highly recommended. Also for me the very best way to "play around" with an unfamiliar distribution is to install it in a VM (e.g. using VirtualBox or QEMU).

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
Example, I've downloaded some apps that don't show at the bottom of the desk top or in apps on a right click. Presumably it's a program location thing but I just don't know?

Not all extensions need an icon and/or menu item - for example, most extensions starting with "lib" are essentially collections of functions for use by other extensions.

If you want to see what files are included in an extension, you can load the extension and then use something like emelfm to browse the /tmp/tcloop/extensionname folder to see what's included in it.

Prior to tc-2.11, icons and menu items were controlled by the files in /tmp/tcloop/extensionname/usr/local/tce.icon or tce.menu. After that tc switched to using the freedesktop file in /tmp/tcloop/usr/local/share/applications/extensionname.desktop
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:43:28 PM by Juanito »

Offline damarious25

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »
thane, thanks for the info! i read the interview and continued on to his personal website... and tried to lick my elbow...

maro, thanks for the link to online man pages.

Juanito, thanks for explaining that to me. I was just trying to get some ruby programming on the go. got it. thanks!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »

If you want to see what files are included in an extension, you can load the extension and then use something like emelfm to browse the /tmp/tcloop/extensionname folder to see what's included in it.

Prior to tc-2.11, icons and menu items were controlled by the files in /tmp/tcloop/extensionname/usr/local/tce.icon or tce.menu. After that tc switched to using the freedesktop file in /tmp/tcloop/usr/local/share/applications/extensionname.desktop

Not really. It is /usr/local/share/applications/extensionname.desktop

You see /tmp/tcloop/... only when extension mounted not when loaded in RAM. /tmp/tcloop/... is an internal stuff, no reason to touch.

Easier to use AppBrowser 'files' tab after selecting an extension or to click on 'list' at the relevant extension on the Repository WEB page:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz_2x.html

It doesn't require to download and install it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:27:26 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
Not really. It is /usr/local/share/applications/extensionname.desktop

Sure, but then you will see all the files named like this, instead of just the one(s) associated with that particular extension

Easier to use AppBrowser 'files' tab after selecting an extension or to click on 'list' at the relevant extension on the Repository WEB page:

Agreed, but most of the time I'm working without an Internet connection

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »
This is the beauty of LINUX. So many approaches :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
Some of the best Linux apps run from the command line. They are smaller, faster, and often more powerful than gui applications. I'm thinking of mplayer-nodep, mc, Imagemagic, and a host of others. Google is your friend in learning about them--but we are trying to develop our wiki pages to help other new users. Even those who are not experts (like me!) can contribute our small parcels of knowledge to the wiki.