WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I can't edit any configuration file...  (Read 3355 times)

Offline sbaguz

I can't edit any configuration file...
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm really sorry, I feel so stupid: I'm new to Tiny Core way of manage configuration backup but after installing Conky and Fluxbox in a Mount Mode of operation (tce=hda1), adding them to the OnBoot list and adding conky.conf to the FileTool list, I simply tried to edit (as root) the conky.conf file itself, but in the folder where I was expecting to find the file there was only a simlink to the real file in the /tmp folder and I couldn't modify it because of a permission problem... The same about all files in the /home/tc/.fluxbox folder.
This way I'm not able to customise neither Conky nor Fluxbox and so on...  :'(

Where is my fault?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: I can't edit any configuration file...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
Conky's config file should be named .conkyrc and placed in /home/tc, and should be either backed up via filetool, or you should set up persistent /~ by speccing the boot code "home=hda1"  (or whatever your drive partition is).

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
sbaguz,

You are not at fault.  Extensions that place config files in /home should use the startup script to copy the files from a staging area so the files are writable and check for existing config files if there is already one present so it doesn't clobber them.  Some of the older extensions that were made before startup scripts may exhibit what you have seen with the config file being a symlink in /home.

As a workaround, copy the file that the symlink is referencing to the /home directory as a real file so it can be edited.

But looking at conky.tcz, it does not have a preexisting config file that would be a symlink.  Are you using the latest conky.tcz?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:20:37 PM by Jason W »

Offline sbaguz

[SOLVED] Re: I can't edit any configuration file...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:27 AM »
Thanks for you answers.

@jur:
the info file of the version I installed talks about the conky.conf file, not the .conkyrc and opening it I see there is what I'm looking for.  :)

@Jason W:
You are right! I already solved the problem for Conky (the latest conky.tcz): I was simply trying to edit the conky.conf in /usr/local/share/conky/files/ simlinked to the one in /tmp/tcloop/conky/usr/local/share/conky/files/, but the "real one" is in /usr/local/etc/conky/;D
Talking about Fluxbox: Thank you!!!! I've tried quite everything, but I didn't find this simple and effective solution!!!  ;D

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: [SOLVED] Re: I can't edit any configuration file...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
Thanks for you answers.

@jur:
the info file of the version I installed talks about the conky.conf file, not the .conkyrc and opening it I see there is what I'm looking for.  :)

@Jason W:
You are right! I already solved the problem for Conky (the latest conky.tcz): I was simply trying to edit the conky.conf in /usr/local/share/conky/files/ simlinked to the one in /tmp/tcloop/conky/usr/local/share/conky/files/, but the "real one" is in /usr/local/etc/conky/;D
If you use conky.conf in /usr/local/etc/conky/, then that needs to be placed in backup and restored at every boot. As .conkyrc in /home/tc, with persistent home it doesn't need backing up. Conky looks for .conkyrc in home first and then for conky.conf.

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.
But the syntax is the same? (i.e.: could I simply copy conky.conf and rename it as .conkyrc?)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »
I think conky will run based on using /usr/local/etc/conky.conf - you could edit it using:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo vi /usr/local/etc/conky.conf
or you could copy it to /home/tc and then edit it:
Code: [Select]
$ cp /usr/local/etc/conky.conf ~/.conkyrc
$ vi ~/.conkyrc