WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How are people using "cloud" mode?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline baz

How are people using "cloud" mode?
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
I have a persistent install for tce, opt and home and it works great. I am curious how people get by without such a setup. Do you re-download and re-install every app at every boot and reconfigure every setting? Do you "backup" all apps and all settings?

Offline tayloratosu

Re: How are people using "cloud" mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
I have set my tce directory to be a directory on the native filesystem.  Is that what you mean by a persistent tce?

I don't have a persistent home or opt.  My settings tend to settle down after a while and not change much, so I just manually run 'filetool.sh backup' whenever I make a change.

I also have a 'document' directory under my home directory; it's a softlink to a directory out on the native filesystem, so I guess that's persistent.

Offline baz

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
Hey,

Yeah that's what I mean by persistent. I guess that circumvents the main questions I had regarding re-downloading apps and the like. Nice idea linking just a folder to the file system.

Baz

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »
I think almost everyone has a tce directory. Persistent home and opt are optional because the backup file saves the same areas (I don't use persistent home/opt because I save to a USB stick and want to minimize writes).

I boot base norestore if I want cloud mode to (say) try out an extension that I may or may not want. Of course then I have to reboot with normal persistence and download it again if I decide I want it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
I boot base norestore if I want cloud mode to (say) try out an extension that I may or may not want. Of course then I have to reboot with normal persistence and download it again if I decide I want it.

It may be copied from /tmp/tce/optional, to not need a re-download.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline thane

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:09:38 PM »
Thanks, good to know.