WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Suggestion: Hard Drive Install Script  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Guy

Suggestion: Hard Drive Install Script
« on: March 27, 2010, 02:33:18 AM »
People with little understanding of Linux often have difficulty installing Tiny Core.

Why not include a Hard Drive Install script, similar to USB Install. The script could automatically download and install GParted (the easiest partitioning program for new users), and allow the user to run it. Then install Grub, and proceed with other aspects of installation, prompting for appropriate information to be entered.

There may be an option for automatic partitioning for those who want it.

There could be a note that you need to be connected to the internet to run it.

The team is doing a great job now, and Tiny Core is continually improving. If you don't have time, I understand.

If any users are interested in writing such a script, why not. Others may contribute and improve it. It could be made into an extension. The team could decide in the long term whether to include it in the base, or leave it as an extension.

If Tiny Core was easier to install, more people would use it.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline batnas

Re: Suggestion: Hard Drive Install Script
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:21:33 AM »
Excellent idea.
I'm already working on one (before you wrote), and will post it as soonn as possible :P

\\Batnas

Offline keithpeter

Re: Suggestion: Hard Drive Install Script
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
Excellent idea.
I'm already working on one (before you wrote), and will post it as soonn as possible :P

\\Batnas

Good idea. I managed to work my way through the install guide on the Web page. I booted of a USB stick created unetbootin. The stick showed up as /dev/sda1 and there wasn't a 'boot' directory as such but I recognised the files in the root as being what I needed to copy.