WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg as a dep is a little overkill  (Read 3065 times)

Offline robc

Xorg as a dep is a little overkill
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
I created a new extension of x11vnc-0.9.6 (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/). This is a native X vnc server that has built in SSL features and also works with stunnel (which I have built too but I haven't had any successful tests with any other VNCs through it and have not tested any imap, pop3, https, etc). The dependencies for x11vnc are openssl and only 4 libraries out of Xorg (libXtst, libXinerama, libXfixes, libXdamage). Having to load Xorg as a dependecy for this extension is a bit of overkill in resources.

My question is, should I just put in the info file the dependencies and put Xorg (and its deps) in the .dep file and leave it up to the user to remove whatever files they do not want? Or should the libraries from Xorg be taken out so other applications don't have to get all of Xorg? or another option?  ???

btw, if there is any interest in stunnel I can submit it for testing, just let me know
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline mikshaw

Re: Xorg as a dep is a little overkill
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:11:44 AM »
The first thing I'd try is to rebuild the application, disabling features that require libraries that are not part of TC.
If that doesn't work I'd probably include the libraries in the vnc package, or make a separate "x11vnc-deps" package mentioning in the info that it is not needed if Xorg is already installed.  This is not meant as a recommendation, but just saying what I'd do =o)

Offline robc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
The first thing I'd try is to rebuild the application, disabling features that require libraries that are not part of TC
I thought of that but would rather not take away capabilities, plus they are available in an extension, it just so happens that the extension that is required is 20 times its size...

make a separate "x11vnc-deps" package
I don't think if its a good idea to start overwriting libraries.  :-\

I'll submit this with Xorg as a dep....I'll leave it up to the user to extract the Xorg libraries and create their own extension of them or manually install them.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:32:52 PM »
I don't think if its a good idea to start overwriting libraries.
You wouldn't be overwriting anything.  The only libraries that would be in the package are those that don't already exist in TC.