WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to patch and/or upgrade a Linux kernel and tcz extensions ?  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Pats

Very often Linux Developers issues kernel / package patches / some minor/major
uupgradas to their products. As far as TC is concerned:

1) How to patch a kernel - I mean the actual step-by-step procedure ?
2) How to upgrade a Linux kernel ?

3) How to patch a .tcz extension ?
4) How to upgrade .tcz extension ?

Should a TC user wait for the above task to be provided by original .tcz developers in
repository in the form of some patch / upgraded .tcz extension or the user
should download the sources and do the upgraded .tcz creation himself ?

In the later case, how to know the dependencies required before the upgraded .tcz creation ? Pl guide !

5) Can we copy/paste the directory tree of the software ( for example - vlan) from the already installed other Linux Distro ( for example - Debian, DSL ) in TC and create .tcz ext ?

I know , we can do it for a software ( like joe ) installed in TC itself, but can the principle be applied to import
dire. tree from other distro and do the job ?

~ Pats

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: How to patch and/or upgrade a Linux kernel and tcz extensions ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »
1+2) download the vanilla kernel sources from www.kernel.org and apply the desired patch, e.g.
Code: [Select]
cd kerneldir && patch -p1 < ../tinycore.patchthe (patched) source for the tinycore kernel can be found on the ibiblio mirror, there's also the patch available. due to special adjustments, the patch will not apply on any other than the 2.6.29 series, so no "real" upgrade possible atm

3+4) patching/upgrading a binary format extension like .tcz is not really possible, if you want to upgrade it or change it, then create it yourself. after that you can mail the originator of the extension in the repo and ask him, if it's ok replacing his version with yours.

if you want to build your own extensions I would suggest you read the forum topics, there are several build scripts, which easily allow to create extensions. dependencies can be found during the building process (looking at the output of ./configure or ./configure --help), it just requires a little experience, which cannot be written down as a tutorial.

binary files from other distros will certainly cause problems (different arch, compiler, flages, etc.), so it's not advisable to create an extension out of them. frankly if I was the repo maintainer I would delete those extensions without asking ;-)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline Pats

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Thnks gutmen !
I know patching/upgrading  kernel and other packages in other Distros ( RH, Deb etc), as upgraded RPMs and Debs are readily available for these distros. . My Q is specific to TC only, since TCs packages are available in .tcz format.
I have already modified simple .tcz ext ( like Joe etc ) as per my needs as per the guidelines available in WIKI and in this forum.

What I have asked is - since many of the upgraded packages are already installed in other distros (RH, Debian etc) can we not just copy installed package dire. tree ( like emacs from Deb ) into TCs temp dire. and then create .tcz ext from it ?
Is it possible theoritically , practiaclly or both ways ?
Any-how I have a feeling that - it may be possible , albiet after satisfying many of the dependency issues which may crawl-up in TC !

( By the way - Is emacs avalable in Repo ? )

~ Pats

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:13:59 AM »
Ok, I thought I answered your last question already ;-)

binary files from other distros will certainly cause problems (different arch, compiler, flages, etc.), so it's not advisable to create an extension out of them.

In general you should not copy files from packages/directory trees other distros to tinycore and I believe the repo maintainers of all distros out there are with me. The building of a program requires lots of libraries, compilers, flags etc. which use to differ from one distro to another. Usually it's easier to just run a script and compile the software yourself directly for a Linux distro instead of copying files and putting them together. Either way - theoretically and practically - it's not a good choice.

Emacs is not available atm, but why do you not try and start making it yourself? The dependencies should be all in the repo, for example if you require the library glib2, then you install glib2.tcz and glib2-dev.tcz and emacs configure will find it automatically. You do that step for every "error" which comes up at the configure and when it's done, make will run.

If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline Pats

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
OK, let me clear. Basically I am a C/C++ ( and occasionally Java ) app developer. And I want to concentrate on my that job. I got attracted to TC due to its simplicity and fat-less core nature.
I can change the required ext in a jiffy as per my need and reboot, I am on my way to do the required job - for which I am paid for from my company.
So I am a bit lazy in doing this ext compiling / creating stuff. ;)
And I always try to do such things thru possible short-cuts so that I can concentrate on my job ( Developing C/C++ apps ). I had created some TC extensions of my own need sometime back but found it very boring doing the same reapeated steps for every new ext. Thats the whole point to find a s-cut ! :)

By the way, presently how much SSL security level ( 128 / 256 bits ) TC is providing for https connections, can you tell ?

~ Pats

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
By the way, presently how much SSL security level ( 128 / 256 bits ) TC is providing for https connections, can you tell ?

~ Pats

That shouldn't be limited. Anything that's in the SSL/TLS standard should work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Pats

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
@gutmen
<div class="quote">In general you should not copy files from packages/directory trees other distros to tinycore and I believe the repo maintainers of all distros out there are with me.<br /></div>
I think I got my ans
<div class="quote">There is a script in Programming and Scripting section that will convert .debs to tcz's for ones own personal use.  The same could easily be done for rpm. <br /></div>
here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5409.0
Thnks to u, anyhow !

@curaga:
<div class="quote"> That shouldn't be limited. Anything that's in the SSL/TLS standard should work.<br /></div>
Thnks ! By the way, while using more higher encryption standards , does it violate any rules or legal rights of some Countires / Govts / Authorites security encryption governing rules ? Just curious !

~Pats

~

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:26 AM »
No, I think the US block on SSL had lifted.
I'm not 100% sure about the countries where the US has other limitations, like Iran, Libya and Cuba.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Pats

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »
Now back to patching / upgrading a TC ext :
Is it possible to create a self-patching / self-upgrading ( or auto-updating tcz extension), which can patch / upgrade itself if the latest application source.bz2 . tar etc  of that perticular ext is provided as input to that ext ( a kind of :   xyz.tcz - update source.bz2    type syntax ).
Just a thought !

~ Pats