Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

making /tce folder on pendrive

(1/3) > >>

P5music:
hi
I am trying to get a persistent installation of tinycore on my pendrive.

After a series of attempts I think the better way is to create the /tce folder on pendrive so tinycore recognizes it and puts the extensions there.
I ask you what exactly I have to do after creating this folder.
Exactly which is the boot option string I have to add to the syslinux file?
note: sdc1 is the pendrive
thanks

bmarkus:
What is your goal? If you just want an USB stick with your selection of extensions do not need to touch /opt just use /tce. You do not have to deal with device name as /tce is automatically recognized by thje system at boot time which is good because device name may vary if you are using it on another computer.

As an example I have never used /opt for extensions. I'm creating two partitions, one smaller, 64 MByte usually formatted as FAT as a boot partition and to move files between TC and WINDOWS, and format rest for one or two ext3 partions. /tce is created on the second ext3 partition.

But you can start with a single FAT partion to store extensions and save backup and make it more complex later when you understand how TC works. It took all of us a certain time.

I think the best is to go back to basics and keep it simple. Forget /opt at least in the beginning.

P5music:
my goal is to have a very fast boot, so waitusb=10 is not good for me, but I am trying to learn tinycore's basics just as you say.

so

/tce is on pendrive
"tinycore waitusb=10" is on syslinux

but
if I install an extension, it is not permanent: nothing is written in /tce on pendrive
maybe I'm missing something.

bmarkus:
Is there a /tce directory in the root of the USB stick?

P5music:
yes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version