Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

making /tce folder on pendrive

<< < (2/3) > >>

Guy:
The easiest way to install on a USB drive is to run USB Install from the CPanel.

You need to install dosfstools and syslinux first.

Everything will be set up automatically, and it normally should just work.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Guy on March 07, 2010, 12:24:32 PM ---The easiest way to install on a USB drive is to run USB Install from the CPanel.

--- End quote ---

But it requires a working TC/MC. How to have it first? Only from CD. If you can make a CD and if you can boot from a CD. Why to waste time with CD just to get an USB stick?

Wether you like it or not, you can safely expect a newbie has a Windows machine with net connection and USB, but can not expect CD writer and necessary software.

So the easiest is UNetbootin !

P5music:
I agree, but during usbinstall I encountered input/output errors as reported in previous thread.
at the reboot, tiny does not load anymore.

OldAdamUser2:

--- Quote from: P5music on March 07, 2010, 10:08:15 AM ---hi
I am trying to get a persistent installation of tinycore on my pendrive.

After a series of attempts I think the better way is to create the /tce folder on pendrive so tinycore recognizes it and puts the extensions there.
I ask you what exactly I have to do after creating this folder.
Exactly which is the boot option string I have to add to the syslinux file?
note: sdc1 is the pendrive
thanks

--- End quote ---

Try the following:

--- Quote ---kernel /boot/bzImage
append initrd=/boot/tinycore.gz quiet tce=sdc1  waitusb=5

--- End quote ---
This assumes that bzImage and tinycore.gz are in the /boot directory. Change that if necessary.

maro:
@P5music: Am I right to assume that you have created the '/tce' directory on 'sdc1' yourself? That might not be the best idea, because you might end up with the wrong ownership and permissions (AFAIK you could try sudo chown -R tc.staff /mnt/sdc1/tce ; sudo chmod -R g+w /mnt/sdc1/tce to set things right). This user intervention is normally not required if one follows the "usual process" (e.g. boot with 'waitusb=XX tce=YYYY')

Please note it's not a matter of personal taste that you have to use 'waitusb=XX', and what value you have to use for XX (e.g. 5, 10, or maybe even more). This is necessary for your pendrive to be recognized by the system correctly. Only when that recognition has happened will things work out as designed. The contents of '/opt/.tce_dir' is for you to observe whether the pendrive recognition has worked, and not necessarily to be altered by the user.

So instead of jumping ahead of yourself I'd suggest the following:

* Remove the '/tce' directory from your pendrive (since I assume it's empty anyway).
* Boot your system with 'tce=sdc1 waitusb=5'. Check the contents of '/opt/.tce_dir' after the boot, if it's not '/mnt/sdc1/tce' repeat the boot process with an increased waitusb-value until the drive recognition has worked.
* After you are certain that your pendrive has been recognized you should also find a '/tce' directory on your pendrive. You could then start downloading extensions, which should now be stored onto your pendrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version